Mini Mocha Chip Pancakes.
You know I’m not a coffee lover, but I sure do love coffee-flavored treats. And I especially love mocha-flavored sweets. But Mr. How Sweet? Not so much.
The morning I made these, he stumbled into the kitchen, took one look at them, and assumed they were chocolate chip cookies. Into his mouth he shoved about 4, then promptly spit them right back out into the garbage can. A coffee fan he is not. I wanted to whack him upside the head.
Luckily, I had made a giant batch for myself and to freeze for use throughout the week. And they do resemble chocolate chip cookies from a distance, don’t they? They also are similar to chocolate chip cookies in the way that you want to eat about 16 of them – at the same time. They are so delicious.
You can definitely top them with your traditional butter and maple syrup, but I actually took a… creamier route. I added a dollop of whipped cream on top and ate it just like a cookie. I couldn’t wait for the butter and syrup. Plus, I used my favorite whole wheat pancake recipe. Whole wheat = eating more delicious ‘cakes. Feel free to use your favorite pancake mix and add a bit of instant coffee and chocolate chips. Make it your own!
Mini Mocha Chip Pancakes
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 tablespoon instant coffee, add more or less to your liking
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs, well beaten
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Stir together dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, vanilla and oil. Stir until dry ingredients are moistened. Using a tablespoon measure, spoon batter onto griddle or skillet heated to medium heat. Sprinkle chocolate chips into each round of batter. Cook on preheated pan until bubbles form and edges start to dry. Flip and cook until lightly browned.
- Top with your garnish of choice.
I also think you could go the pumpkin spice route and make these into pumpkin spice latte pancakes with a spoonful of coffee powder. Sounds tasty!
P.S. -> the (delicious) giveaway is still going on for How Sweet Facebook fans. Just scroll down to leave a comment on the Giveaway post!