Everything Flatbread Crackers.
[Good news – we are in the midst of switching servers! I apologize if the site is still a bit slow or not loading, but all should be well soon. I’ll be on my own little server and back to normal! Thank you for your patience, and thank you everyone who has continue to reload and refresh the page to leave me a comment. You guys are awesome.]
Ever since making my first batch of homemade crackers a few weeks ago, I have been enthralled at the thought. Not only are they easy to make, but they just taste so much better than store bought, boxed crackers laden with ingredients I can’t even pronounce.
And all I could think about was topping crispy, crunchy crackers with mounds and mounds of cheese.
My family has been obsessed with everything flatbread crackers for years, so naturally, these were next on my list to make.
I used both whole wheat and all-purpose flour, hoping for a more hearty cracker.
And I didn’t roll the dough out into a perfect rectangle because first, I am not skilled enough to do so and didn’t feel like throwing a tantrum, and second, I wanted the crackers to have a rustic look. I thought it would be fun to lay the sheet of crackers down and have guests break off what they wanted.
For my “everything” seasonings, I used poppy seeds, sesame seeds, minced onion, garlic powder, course sea salt and crackers black pepper.
Everything crackers tend to also have either caraway seeds and/or fennel seeds, but I don’t like either of them. Both of them remind me of sausage, which reminds me of… well, it’s too gross to say.
So I left ‘em out. Feel free to add whatever seeds you’d like.
My favorite parts are the bubbles.
And check out how thin they are. Crispy and crunchy.
Just my style.
We ate these with some sliced fontina cheese and campari tomatoes. They would be delicious dipped in hummus and with gorgonzola-stuffed olives too.
Mr. How Sweet thinks they are good with just plain pepperoni, but what does he know? He has the taste buds of a 5-year old.
I could live on a plate of these alone. The sharp, tangy cheese and sweet tomatoes add the perfect bite. I’m sure eventually I would want some chocolate or bacon, but let’s just live this up while we can.
Everything Flatbread Crackers
- Preheat oven to 350.
- In a food processor, pulse flours, salt and sugar until combined. Add in cold butter and pulse until mixture is combined and the butter is in course crumbs. Stream in milk while pulsing the processor until the dough forms.
- Form dough into a ball with your hands and chill in the refrigerator for about 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, flour surface and a rolling pin, and roll out dough until it is very thin. Gently lift dough and place it on a baking sheet. Don’t worry about it being a perfect rectangle.
- Beat egg in a small bowl, and brush onto dough. Sprinkle seasonings of choice on, then lightly press to make sure they adhere.
- Bake for 5 minutes, rotate pan, and bake for 5 minute more. Check crackers and bake in 3 minute intervals until crisp and golden brown. Watch carefully as they can burn.
- Serve with cheese, vegetables or fruit, hummus and olives.
I’m currently in a cracker coma.