Chocolate Gingerbread Granola.
Since devouring my chocolate banana gingerbread in record time, I’ve been craving some more ginger goodness in my life. ‘Tis the season!
It’s a funny thing, especially since I’ve bemoaned my non-love for gingerbread. But everything gets better with chocolate. You don’t have to twist my arm.
I had a bit of candied ginger left over from a recent Trader Joe’s trip, and at the last moment threw it into the bowl. I loved the kick and chew it gave to the crunchy granola.
Not like I needed another reason to love granola. I swear, this snack chases me. I hear it calling my name from inside my pantry. It whispers to me in grocery store aisles. Eat me.
Before I know it, I have a big bowl… okay, who am I kidding? I’m not classy enough to use a bowl. I have a big bag of granola in front of me and I’m going to town. Crunch after crunch after crunch, it just tastes better and better. Perfect for mindless snacking.
And this granola is no exception.
You can even make a granola gingerbread man.
Just don’t remove it’s outer shell. Oops. Won’t be hanging this guy on the tree.
Chocolate Gingerbread Granola
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/4 cup wheat germ
- 1/4 cup ground flaxseed
- 1/3 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/3 cup molasses
- 1/3 cup candied ginger chopped
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips, chopped
- Preheat oven to 375.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, flax, wheat germ, coconut, ginger, chocolate and sea salt. In a small bowl, combine cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, and cloves, and combine. Pour spices into bowl of oats and mix well. In a separate bowl, mix honey, molasses and vanilla. Add honey mixture to oat mixture and stir until moistened. If you need more moisture, add honey 1 teaspoon at a time.
- Lay on a baking sheet and bake for 20 minutes, flipping every 3-5 minutes, or until golden brown and toasty. Watch closely so granola doesn’t burn. Remove from oven and let cool completely.
I have a granola addiction. Send help. And bigger pants.