Fudgey Brownie Cupcakes.
As I stood over the stove this past weekend stirring a pot of creamy baked potato soup, I pondered brownies.
I was craving them.
There are chocolate cravings, and then there are chocolate cravings.
You know the ones… so intense that the only cure is a dense brownie that hurts your teeth or a slice of cheesecake so rich that it takes 30 full minutes to eat.
That’s what my Saturday night was about. It was so wild. Wait until you hear about Sunday!
And I knew I couldn’t go wrong with this recipe when I’d have so many utensils to lick.
Do you know what these brownies don’t lack?
Two whole cups of sugar, that is. There is more sugar than flour in these brownies.
And they have a crackled, crunchy top. The texture is perfect.
But don’t let that fool you. Inside is a fudgey, chewy brownie bursting with chocolate flavor and gooey chocolate chips.
I know there are people out there who find some desserts to be too rich, and well, I must say that I… have no idea what you’re talking about.
But in case that happens with these brownies, top them with some fluffy white frosting to cut the sweetness.
If you do that, you have to promise me that you will top the frosting with more shaved chocolate. Because what goes better with chocolate, butter and sugar than more chocolate?
Nothing. That’s what.
I’ve decided that I like brownies in cupcake form more than squares. They are larger and taller and while that may not seem like a big deal, it means a lot when it comes to chewy, gooey, chocolaty brownies.
And this also means that they are perfectly portioned for those of us that lack self control around chocolate. But that’s not me. No way. I didn’t need to hide these in the back of the freezer so I’d stop eating them, strategically placing them behind 4-year old bags of frozen broccoli. Why would I need to do that?
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 squares Baker’s chocolate
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- from allrecipes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 2 egg whites
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350.
- Melt butter and baking sqaures in a microwave safe bowl. In the mixing bowl, cream melted butter and chocolate mixture. Add in sugar and vanilla and beat until fluffy, about 2-3 minutes. Add in eggs, beating one at a time. Add flour and cocoa powder and stir just until combined. Fold in chocolate chips.
- Fill a muffin tin with muffin liners (I also sprayed my lines with non-stick spray) and fill each liner about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until brownie is set. The top with be a bit crunchy and the insides will be fudgey.
- Frost if desired and garnish with shaved chocolate.
- In a small saucepan, stir together sugar, water and cream of tartar over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and mixture is bubbly.
- In a mixing bowl, whip the egg whites and vanilla until they form soft peaks. Slowly add the sugar mixture to the egg whites, beating until stiff peaks form, about 7-10 minutes. Frost brownie cupcakes.
For the record, frozen brownie cupcakes are delicious too. And the broccoli has freezer burn.