Crispy Parmesan Asparagus Sticks.
Who would have ever thought I would get excited about seeing something green on sale in the grocery store?
But that’s what happened when I walked by these super thin asparagus spears. How often do I find thin asparagus that doesn’t look half dead and is on sale? Rarely.
And I sort of like asparagus. Sort of. And by “sort of,” I mean I can chew a spear or two without wanting to upchuck.
The whole upchucking thing usually doesn’t happen until the third of fourth spear.
But I figured I could possibly prevent that mess if I coated these in something crispy and cheesy. That combination never fails.
These were so incredibly easy to make and tasted delicious – kind of like little asparagus “fries.” I made a big batch yesterday and ate nearly all of them before deciding to let Mr. How Sweet in on the goodness. He tasted one and decided he loved them so much that he would take the remaining ones for lunch today. I’m not quite sure how well they will reheat, but for someone who will eat an eight-day old burger with moldy cheese from the depths of our fridge… I think they will certainly fit the bill.
I also think that these will taste even better with thicker asparagus spears. While I love the thin ones (thin = less vegetable chewing), the thick ones will be extra crunchy and get more crispy and cheesy. I’m all for more crisp and cheese. Who isn’t?
- 1 bunch of asparagus, mine had about 30 spears
- 2 egg whites
- 1/4 cup flour, I used whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Lay a wire rack on a baking sheet and coat with non-stick spray.
- Snap off the tough ends of each asparagus spear. On two separate plates, add the eggs whites (lightly beaten) and the panko + flour + cheese. Season the panko mixture with salt and pepper if desires. Coat each asparagus spear in egg whites, then lay in the panko mixture and thoroughly cover. If the panko won’t stick, dip back in the egg whites and roll in panko once again. Lay each spear on the wire rack.
- Bake at 425 for 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
Okay. That’s enough of the green stuff for me.