Crispy Shrimp Tacos.
I have dinner! Shrimp tacos, to be exact.
And it includes fresh fruit and vegetables, seafood and avocado. Can’t go wrong there, right?
Especially if your shrimp is already clean – this meal should take you less than 20 minutes to throw together.
I was so excited when I found mangos at my grocery store on sale this week: 10 for $10! Are mangos in season? I have no idea. But I found a squishy, soft one (in my experience those are the best) and also bought a firmer one which I am sure will die in the crisper drawer.
I’ll probably find it in May.
I knew exactly what was happening to one mango though. It was perfectly ripe and I quickly chopped it with some red onion and tomato – easy, fresh salsa right there.
And I’m pretty sure I won’t ever make shrimp another way. With a quick dredge through flour, it comes out so flavorful and crispy.
I think I like these better than regular tacos. Maybe even better than pork tacos? Which is wild, considering me and pork are likethis.
And they are just so pretty and colorful. I love bright food. Except the vegetable kind.
We enjoyed this so much that I’m planning on making it again Friday. It was bursting with more flavor than I ever thought possible. I really loved the crunchy textures of the crispy shrimp and even the shredded lettuce.
In fact, I don’t even think I can wait until Friday. Pretty sure I must make these again today.
Crispy Shrimp Tacos
- 1/2 pound raw, deveined shrimp (tails removed)
- 1 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 mango, chopped
- 1/4 tomato, chopped
- 1/4 red onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped avocado
- 4 corn or flour tortillas
- 1/4 cup grated cotija or cheddar cheese
- 1 lime
- shredded lettuce
- Make sure shrimp is clean and completely dry. Combine salt, pepper, garlic and cumin and sprinkle it over the shrimp. Add the flour to a small bowl, and dredge the shrimp through the flour to get a very light coating on it. Heat a skillet on medium high heat and add the olive oil. Once hot, add the shrimp and brown on each side, about 2-3 minutes per side. Remove the shrimp and let drain on a paper towel.
- Combine chopped mango, onion and tomato together in a bowl, adding a bit of salt and pepper. Assemble tacos, adding lettuce, shrimp, mango salsa, avocado, cilantro and cheese. Spritz with lime juice.
This is about as veggie-heavy as it’s gonna get around here.