Homemade Funfetti Cupcakes.
So… this whole sprinkles thing.
It’s kind of getting annoying, right? Look at me! I’m obsessed with sprinkles! Wah wah wah. I need attention. Yeah. Not cool. I may as well just slap on some glitter eyeshadow and tease my hair. But in reality, I’m so obsessed with sprinkles because now that I’m in my mid-to-late (read: really late) 20s, it’s not so appropriate for me to be walking around sporting the newest shade of Urban Decay and blinding folks with glistening flecks from my lids. Um… what would you rather have? Me wearing loose sparkles on my eyes or a compulsion to bake you colorful vanilla cakes?
So sprinkles it is. Everyone needs a vice.
They are sort of like trashy gossip tabloids. Or the new, freakishly awkward version of 90210. Or chocolate covered bacon. Or skinny jeans. I really have no business dealing with any of the above but I die a little inside when I don’t get what I want. I’m okay with being a walking celeb stalker, wearing pants that make me look like a stuffed sausage and knowing the exact story line on every tween drama.
And making homemade funfetti cupcakes. I’m okay with that too. Funfetti cupcakes were always an obsession in our house growing up. Heck, they still are. Sometimes I still buy the boxed version. Yes I do. But I’ve also been making them from scratch for a loooooong time and really didn’t think you had any interest considering they are… hello… a vanilla cupcake with sprinkles. Simple. Yummy. Easy. Lovable.
Don’t mind my crumbs. I’m messy. So if you feel like creaming some butter and scooping some flour, you’re in for a treat. My favorite part? Different sprinkles. Wowza. Sometimes I use the regular old things – you may refer to them as jmmies, but I just can’t get behind that. Other times I use the nonpareils, which I love because they have super bright, fun colors. If you haven’t noticed, I like bright colors. And sprinkles. And glitter. And bacon. Okay I’m done.
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/3 cup assorted brightly colored sprinkles + more for top of frosting
- 2 sticks of butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of milk, if needed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Cream butter and sugar in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 3 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined. Combine dry ingredients in a bowl. Add half of the dry ingredients, mixing until just combined. Add the milk. Once mixed, add remaining dry ingredients. Fold in assorted sprinkles. Pour into cupcake tins and fill 2/3 of the way full. Bake for 18-20 minutes. Let cool, then frost.
- Cream butter in the bowl of an electric mixture until completely smooth and creamy. With the mixer on low speed, add in powdered sugar slowly. Gradually increase mixer speed and add vanilla, then beat for 2-3 minutes, scraping down sides and bottom of the bowl. If frosting is too thick, add milk 1 teaspoon at a time until desired consistency is reached If it’s too thin, add sugar gradually until it thickens. Frost cupcakes and top with sprinkles.
If you come vacuum the trillions of sprinkles off my floors, I’ll love you forever. [/donotprint]