Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
I know what you’re thinking.
These sound really flippin’ weird.
And they kinda look weird too.
It’s like Barney upchucked batter then baked it. But I promise! …. no food coloring. Really. These pretty [weird] little purple cakes are the result of roasting some blueberries until they burst and explode. Fun fun fun. And messy. Oh! And hot. RIP taste buds.
Remember when I made dark chocolate blueberry muffins? And remember when I fell in love with the whole blueberry + chocolate combination? And remember when I ate all of those muffins and didn’t share? And! Remember… remember when I mixed a small ramekin of hot fudge with blueberries and ate it as a snack??? I’m whispering.
No you don’t. Because I keep such dirty details of my private life private. I’m not a hussy. [But it was really good, FYI.]
I was on a mission to create a blueberry cupcake – much like this strawberry cupcake – that was easily distinguishable from a muffin. I didn’t want to just plop some blue juicy berries into vanilla batter because that would be just like… breakfast. Seriously, we all know that muffins are just an excuse to eat cupcakes for the most important meal of day. The jig is up.
So… I went the extra mile and roasted the heck out of my berries [thus creating a massive mess that is probably still hanging out on my stovetop while I float on a lake hundreds of miles away] and then stirred them into the batter, creating a bowl of purple people eaters. Look at me gettin’ all natural and stuff with fruit food colorings!
My mission was accomplished and these baby cakes turned out tasting entirely different than blueberry muffins. While they taste like blueberries, the flavor is deeper, more rich and almost velvety. They are not a sugary-sweet blueberry tasting cupcake. I totally would smash one of these right in your face and promise you’d love it.
Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.
Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups fresh blueberries + a few additional ones rubbed with sugar for garnish
- 2-3 tablespoons milk, if needed (I used 2.)
Chocolate Fudge Buttercream
- 1 cup of butter, (2 sticks), softened
- 3-4 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder, I used Hershey’s Dark, it’s what I had
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup hot fudge sauce at room temperature or cold, and using store bought is fine
- 1-2 tablespoons milk, if needed
Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spread blueberries on a baking sheet (with sides) and roast for 10-15 minutes, or until berries start to burst. Remove from oven and let cool.
- Beat butter and sugar together in the bowl of an electric mixer until fluffy, about 4-5 minutes. Add eggs and vanilla extract and mix until combined, another 2-3 minutes. Add flour, baking powder and salt with the mixer on low speed, then gradually increase speed. Scrape in blueberries and beat on medium speed until the berries break down – about 2-3 minutes. At this point, the berries most likely have enough liquid that you only need to add a small amount of milk to the batter. Begin adding 1 tablespoon of milk at a time and beat with the mixer until the batter is smooth. You definitely want it to be cake batter and not dough.
- Pour into cupcake liners, filling 2/3 of the way full, and bake for 18-22 minutes or until cake is set. Let cool completely, then frost.
Chocolate Fudge Buttercream
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter until smooth. Gradually add in powdered sugar about 1/2 cup at a time with the mixer on low, increasing it to medium-high speed once all the sugar has been added. Add the cocoa, vanilla and hot fudge, and mix until completely combined (while scraping down the bowl every few minutes) for about 5-6 minutes. If the frosting seems very thick, simply add some milk 1 tablespoon at a time and mixer for another minute or 2 until it comes together.
- Note: this makes enough frosting for me to frost 12 cupcakes with a pastry bag. If you use a spatula for frosting, you will most likely have frosting left over. If you use a pastry bag and add a lot of frosting, you may not have enough. I add about 1/4 cup of frosting on my cupcakes when piping. If you have some leftover, simply store it in an air-tight container in the fridge (a few days) or the freezer (3-4 months!).
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Sure looks like breakfast to me.
158 Comments on “Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting.”
Very interesting! And, so pretty. I bet roasted blueberries have a lot of uses. What about roasted blueberry jam??
I’m not a huge fan of super sweet cupcakes, so I have a feeling that the rich flavoring of these would be perfect for my taste buds
These don’t sound weird AT ALL! I am loving blueberries this summer and these sound like an awesome way to put some to use.
Okay, you’ve got me. muffins = excuse to eat cupcakes for breakfast. I think my husband would vow to never clean again if this made a gigantic mess in the oven, but I still think it’d be worth it!
They do look rather different, not weird but different. I would happily eat at least one of these without complaining about how it looks. Interesting idea to roast blueberries. Did it deepen the flavor?
Yep, that’s what I wrote above.
I love chocolate and blueberries, I’m kind of in love!
I love the purple color!! Lately I have also been obsessed with chocolate and blueberry together. Ever heard of chocolate blueberry jam?? http://www.confessionsofachocoholic.com/fruit/did-someone-say-blueberry
Holy cow. I need that in my life.
You are so creative! I’ll take a Barney cupcake any day! ;-)
I have never thought about roasting blueberries — But I bet your house smelled so good!!!
You can smash one of these in my face any day! And don’t worry – about the RIP tastebuds thing… I read in Self yesterday that those cells regenerate really quickly, which means all the more reason to eat a boatload of roasted blueberries, right!? After all, they’re fruit…. ;)
Thank goodness, I burn mine off every week.
Wow these cupcakes look delicious! I like the pairing of chocolate and blueberries. Recently discovered your blog, its amazing! You’re recipes are so original and love the photography.
Thanks so much Mandy!
such a pretty color of purple! not weird to me, and i love the frosting!
Yowza!! Don’t mind if I do!
The only thing I find weird about this is that you did not just eat all the batter when you got to the point in the recipe where you took that first photo.
These might be the most beautiful cupcakes I’ve seen! So gorgeous. I bet they taste amazing.
I can’t believe I never thought to ROAST blueberries. Now I want to make roasted blueberry jam…
Ugh that frosting looks awesome. Like a mound of fluffy chocolatiness…. I’ve gotta try the melted chocolate and blueberry thing first though. You know, just to make sure I like the combo ;)
I don’t think they look weird; I think they look AWESOME! WAY better than a typical old blueberry muffin!
Barney’s vomit has never looked so delicious…
I don’t know…I’m still a little iffy about chocolate and blueberries. Don’t get me wrong, I’m sure it tastes amazing, but in my past experiences I don’t like any fruit covered in chocolate. Well, except for strawberries. ;-)
The cupcakes look so cool! I love the blue cake! :-)
If you like the chocolate/blueberry combination you MUST try these! Uhhhb-sessed. You can find them at any Whole Foods. http://www.emilyschocolates.com/Dark-Chocolate-Covered-Blueberries-p/0-29796-54267-9.htm
Ummm YES I do!!
Yum! Looks pretty good to me!
They look great!
Choc + Blueberries = a great combo
“creating a massive mess that is probably still hanging out on my stovetop while I float on a lake hundreds of miles away”–
I was actually thinking when I read this, boy, she must have had a MESS on her hands…and then, bam. You did.
The cupcakes look worth it, though!
Without a doubt that’s breakfast! That frosting looks amazing!
So we are the perfect cake friends. I hate icing (yes I know…major personality flaw) so the next time we see each other we can share a dessert in which I scrape off the buttercream and give it all to you in exchange for an extra bite of the cake. Deal?
Guess what… I really don’t like icing either. Isn’t that crazy?
I’ve never put blueberries and chocolate together- sounds fantastic. I kind of love how they look
These remind me of cookie monster. Love your creativity!
This is going to sound really weird and loserish, by the breath literally went out of my mouth when I read this title. WHOOHOOO nothin like cupcakes for breakfast!!
LOL I love it!
Not weird….but tastefully unique. I’d eat one, well probably 2.
Yeah really… who can stop at one? ;)
Yummy! I’ve never tried a fruity cuocake with chocolate frosting before.
those are awesome!! I love the deep purple color :)
“It’s like Barney upchucked batter then baked it”- this made me laugh so hard I snorted! ;-) I would be totally embarrassed if anyone heard me! LOL!
I don’t think this is weird at all…I love the blueberry chocolate combo. And think of all the antioxidents! I would love one for breakfast, thank you! :-)
Ooooh yes… this is like double the antioxidants!
OMG!! These are really for me. Lovely!
There is absolutely NOTHING weird about these. They look flippin’ good is what I was thinking!
How do you always make your fronting look so pretty?? I can never get mine to look that good!
I use a Wilton #12 tip and just pipe on a big blob – no secret!
Have you tried dark chocolate covered powerberries from Trader Joe’s? If not, you must!
Yes! Love ’em!
I’m envisioning a messy oven after roasting blueberries but, these look worth it!
This looks absolutely delicious – especially in the last picture. I wish I took that bite! haha
Oh I would kill for one of these right now!
I’m so afraid of what would happen if we were in the same room together.
Hey, I’m all for having you smash one in my face. I dare you.
Oh my goodness, these look so so yummy!! Saving this recipe :)
The color of these is beyond amazing. So cool!! You’re so good at pipping frosting, I want to dive right in to that cupcake!
Thanks! I really only know how to use one tip… haha.
Crazy delicious looking! I want one. Can you drop one off in the middle of the mitten???
I wish I still had some left!
Love the color of these! I like to eat anything this is a weird color…does that make me weird too?
I love the color of these cupcakes. so fun!
Get. In. My. Mouth.
What an interesting combo with the chocolate. Roasting the blueberries sounds like an incredibly good idea. And velvety in texture? Yah, I’ll take some of those! Love the thick chocolate frosting w/the bluebs on top. Adorable. :)
Definitely looks like my kind of breakfast! These look so moist and delicious.
Even though that cupcake at the end has a bite in it, I want to jump through my screen and devour it! Ahhh it looks so good!