Did you ever have a diary? I did.

I think I got the idea from the Babysitter’s Club books. You can tell I read many classic novels as a child.

Anyway, this diary of mine. I wrote in it a lot. I’d write in it every single day. And sometimes when I was done writing in my diary, I’d doodle big hearts on the inside cover with a boy’s name in them. David, Doug, Don, Dwight… clearly I liked boys whose names began with the letter D.

One diary was a hot pink and purple squishy plastic. Stereotype city. It had a lock and a key, which I just thought was cool. I stashed the book underneath my mattress and the key somewhere in my desk drawer, which I frequently lost, so my brothers couldn’t find it. It was chock full of top-secret news, like what I really thought about Judy Blume’s Forever.

I don’t have a diary anymore; instead I have this little page on the internet that most people over the age of 60 don’t “get” and an impulsion to take pictures of my food and talk to my computer screen about them.

I don’t tell you when it’s raining or what I wore to school yesterday.

I don’t tell you about the one girl who got caught passing a note about me and my thighs. Hint: it wasn’t nice.

I don’t tell you about how I’m scared to ask my mom if I can shave my legs.

I don’t tell you that my mom, who won’t let me shave, said I looked like Roseanna Barr when I got a perm at age 9.

I don’t tell you that there are days when Mr. How Sweet wishes I’d take a long walk off a short pier.

Well… I may tell you some of that stuff. I tend to overshare.

But I always, always tell you when I make some deliriously good muffins.

And today is one of those days.

Chocolate. Blueberries. Whole wheat. Brown sugar. Sounds like the epitome of health to me. Lots of health here. Lots of reasons to devour them. And feel good about it.

Eat up. And don’t forget the butter.

Dark Chocolate Blueberry Muffins

makes 12-15 muffins

2 cups whole wheat pastry flour (or all-purpose flour, do NOT use regular whole wheat)

1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 tablespoons dark cocoa powder

2/3 cup brown sugar

1 teaspoon cinnamon

1 egg

1 teaspoon vanilla extract

1/4 cup butter, melted

1 cup milk

1 cup blueberries

1/4 cup chopped dark chocolate

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a muffin tin with muffin liners.

In a bowl, combine flour, baking soda, salt, cocoa powder, brown sugar, cinnamon and mix until combined. Using a whisk, stir in the egg, vanilla, melted butter and milk. If the dough still appears too dry, add another tablespoon or 2 of milk. Fold in blueberries and chocolate.

Using an ice cream scoop, spoon muffins into liners. Bake for 13-16 minutes, or until muffins are cooked through.

For the record, I never liked a boy named Dwight. Someone’s just watched too many episodes of The Office.

142 Responses to “Dark Chocolate Blueberry Muffins.”

Laurel — August 22, 2011 @ 10:50 am

Making these for my work camping trip… AMAZING.

Nechama — September 14, 2011 @ 1:52 pm

Just wondering…the chopped chocolate should be like chocolate chunks or thin enough to melt through the batter?

Katie — December 2, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Would some combo of AP & regular whole wheat be ok?
    Dang, those sound/look amazing.

• Jessica — December 2nd, 2011 @ 1:26 pm

Yes! I would do a 50/50 mix.

Morgan — December 22, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Would it be ok to use frozen blueberries?

• Jessica — December 22nd, 2011 @ 5:33 pm

Yes, as long as they are totally thawed and dry!

Angela — February 29, 2012 @ 3:15 pm

These look amazing! Just came across your blog, which I will definitely be following from now on…and in looking for a chocolate muffin recipe, I think I found one that will stay in my archives. Have some blueberries laying around the fridge and in craving chocolate thought, ‘why not combine the two’! Thanks for sharing, and if you ever get a chance, please stop by my blog and let me know your thoughts. I’m really new to the blogging world and my site is still in the works, but would love some constructive criticism. Thanks : )

Tony — June 15, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Is it possible to bake this in a loaf cake tin? How long do you think it will take to bake?

Kenzie — May 28, 2013 @ 1:32 pm

These were so amazing! Coconut oil works perfect in them too! I also used unsweetened chocolate almond milk. Very tasty and beautiful cakey texture!

1. Pingback: Single Lady Dinner. | How Sweet It Is

2. Pingback: Favorites. | healthycollegegirl

3. Pingback: Drool Worthy Recipes « the diva-dish

4. Pingback: Roasted Blueberry Cupcakes with Chocolate Fudge Frosting | How Sweet It Is

5. Pingback: Dark Chocolate Blueberry Muffins | The Spiffy Cookie

6. Pingback: Weekend Cooking: Chocolate Raspberry Muffins « alita.reads.

7. Pingback: Chocolaty Chocolate Chip Muffins | PeanutButter and Onion