Minestrone Pot Pie with Whole Wheat Parmesan Biscuits.
Well this is weird.
But you’re in the right place!
I’ve been absolutely cah-raving soup. Badly.
To the point where I couldn’t take it anymore.
And um, soup plus pot pie? I’m pretty sure that is more than a match made in heaven. Yes. More than.
It’s only, like… combining the two most perfect dishes ever. Forevah evah.
And it’s one of the only vehicles that can successfully transport vegetables into my body. Yep.
For the last 3 days I’ve felt like utter crud. NOTHING tastes better than soup when you feel like crud and want nothing more than to take a giant plunger to your nose and mouth. Except maybe Chipotle. And an ice cream sundae. And a milkshake. And pad thai. And Chipotle.
I actually want all of that rightthisminute on a huge platter. Badly. Guess someone’s on the mend.
Soooo… I made this soup after harassing my husband for six straight hours to come to yoga with me. In all honesty – I just needed a good laugh. And obviously something to do with my time. But one of those hurts-your-stomach-and-cheeks giggles. The best. Because see? About four years ago I coerced him into doing yoga with me and lasted about thirty-three seconds before falling over in hysterics. Funniest stuff ever. I want to show you a video. Badly.
Maybe you had to be there… ?
You know what this is?
A big bowl of comfort. That’s what. That you need tonight. Do it for me. And yourself.
- 2 slices thick-cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 sweet onion, chopped
- 1 cleaned and trimmed leek, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped baby bella mushrooms
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 cups cubed butternut squash
- 3 cups raw spinach leaves
- 3 cups torn kale leaves
- 1 (15 oz) can, cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 oz) can, peeled whole tomatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken stock
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese + 1 parmesan cheese rind
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 stick, 1/2 cup cold butter, cut into cubes
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream + 2 tablespoons, and more for brushing
- Heat a large pot over medium heat and add chopped bacon. Cook until crispy and fat is rendered, then remove with a slotted spoon and let drain on a paper towel. Add onions and leeks to the pan with a sprinkle of salt, cooking for 5 minutes. Add in mushrooms and cook for 2-3 minutes more. Stir in garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add spinach, kale, squash, tomatoes, beans, stock and parmesan rind. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and cook f0r 20 minutes, covered. While soup is cooking, make biscuits below and preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- After 20 minutes, stir parmesan and bacon into soup and transfer to the baking dish. Top with biscuits, then brush each biscuit with cream. Bake for 50-55 minutes. Let cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- To make biscuits: In a large bowl, combine flour, baking powder and salt. Add butter cubes, and using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, mix until coarse little crumbles remain. Make a well in the middle of the flour, then add cream and cheese. Stir until a sticky dough forms, then make 8 small rounds of dough.
Now can someone give me a cookie?