1. If you’ve read this blog for any more than a hot 5 minutes, you must know I’m crushed over the passing of Whitney Houston. Considering I I mention her no less than thrice a month, I’ve been drowning my sorrows in Boys II Men and Babyface since late Saturday night.
2. Oh and I have to say, the Whitney Pandora station is even better than Taylor Dayne, though they both play similiar tunes. But the Whitney station plays fabulous throwbacks like On Bended Knee that take me back to my 7th grade dance when I stood with my hands on some guy’s shoulders and he barely touched my waist and we didn’t move any closer than 8 inches to each other while “dancing” for the fear of spontaneously erupting into flames.
3. Thrice is such a gross word.
4. I spent the blizzards of ’96 and ’97 watching Waiting to Exhale and The Preacher’s Wife over and over and over and… over again. My parents were thrilled since Waiting to Exhale was quite the… “education” for someone my age. P.S. that is still one of my favorite soundtracks of all time.
5. I’m probably not going to shut up about Whitney for a really long time but you already know how annoying I can be… sooooo yeah.
6. I decided to cook a last minute feast tonight and it’s including… FONTINA SMASHED POTATOES. I’m making them up and I will probably eat them all myself.
7. Yesterday I made cookies with this guy’s sister and caught her in the act of sneaking chocolate chips.
Wait. Is this my child?
8. I’m pretty much dying over this fluffernutter french toast. Many of you seemed surprised when I mentioned that I had marshmallow fluff on hand at all times, but what really concerns me is why you DON’T have marshmallow fluff on hand at all times.
9. Yes I’m serious. Why?
10. On Friday immediately after my workout I ran into the store, still dripping with sweat, and walked out with 4 pounds of butter. This is not unusual.
11. I’m still eating gummy vitamins like they’re going out of style. I hope I live.
74 Comments on “Tuesday Things.”
Even when you’re upset you are still hysterical!!! Whitney passing is a complete tragedy!
I am however laughing my butt off remembering “Tell it to My Heart” OH the awesome dances I made up to Taylor Dane!!!! Thrice, gummy vits and fluff! I can just picture the look on the cashier’s face when you walk up with pounds of butter in all your post workout glory!! HAHAHA!!! You have made my Tuesday morning so much more bearable!!!!!!
P.S. that little girl is priceless!! and those lashes!!!!
I am shocked and devistated by Whitney’s death, too. What a tragedy, and I feel so bad for her daughter. My heart breaks for her, and I hope she will be ok.
I hope you are going to post the fontina mashed potato recipe, Jessica. They sound amazing! I hope you had a happy Valentine’s Day!
Great photo of your daughter. Whitney’s death was tragic. The greatest female talent of our generation. Just a shame. I had tears running down my cheeks over the Jennifer Hudson tribute at the Grammy’s. Just beautiful.
Gummy vitamins are the only vitamins to take. Anything else would have me choking half to death.
I’m now excited to go to work so I can listen to the Whitney Pandora station.
4 pounds of butter? That’s nothing. . . I’ve been known to buy 12 – 15 pounds whenever it’s on sale. Same with powdered sugar. . . . And yes, I do get really strange looks sometimes :).
And The Body Guard! Don’t forget that little nugget of fall in love goodness with over the top romantic songs and Kevin Costner before he went all Dancing with the Wolves weird!
Um, I’m sad about Whitney too! Loved me some Bodyguard, Waiting to Exhale, and The Preacher’s Wife. Waiting to Exhale was one of the best soundtracks… I played that soundtrack out!!! So glad someone else appreciates that movie and soundtrack. AMAZING! Can’t wait to see your fontina smashed potatoes.. please post!
Oooh my gosh that little girl in an apron. Love.
I take gummy vitamins, too! I love that it tells me to take 2, especially cause as a teen, my friend & I would only eat gummy bears in pairs because we didn’t want them to die alone. Now I can eat gummies & it’s healthy?! Nice!
Those gummy vitamins are addicting! We don’t have any in our house, but my boyfriend’s parents (who live a few blocks away) have some in their house and I always down a handful of them when I’m over there because hello, gummies with vitamins in them? All over that!
Also, I love getting weird looks at the grocery store. The best one was when I was living in England, all you could buy were SUPER green bananas, and I wanted to make banana bread. So I thought “Hey, the Safeway where I used to work was always throwing out over-ripe bananas – I bet the produce guys would love to get rid of some of the super ripe bananas” so I asked one of the boys working in the produce section for the ripest bananas he had, the browner the better. He looked at me like I was insane and asked why, so I told him I was going to make banana bread and he said “What’s banana bread? Like, toast with bananas in it?” I KID YOU NOT. At that moment I knew I could never possibly live in England for the rest of my life. Well, that and the weather and the way people gripe about how the government isn’t paying them enough to raise their children. And how it took the army to take down one nutter with a shot gun (because the police aren’t allowed guns in Britain, only the army).
I’m with on you on the gummy vitamins. I love them and probably shouldn’t have a few every time I go into the bathroom. I immediately thought of this dish we make at our restaurant with homemade fluff. It’s amazing. I’m sure it’s the messiest recipe ever, but it’s so good. We put it on homemade wheat bread with peanut butter and top with bananas, crushed candied nuts and raisins and then these chocolate little balls that I can’t figure out what they are. It’s the WORST dish to make but at least I get to eat the crust I cut off. So good.
n I just say a HUGE THANK YOU for recommending the Whitney Pandora station??!! I have been so happy for the past few days at work going down memory lane from all the goodness of that station. Some of these songs I haven’t heard since high school and I now have a loooong list to download from iTunes. Seriously – thanks!
I used to love Whitney Houston’s music too, but in 2007 I almost died, my heart stopped and I dropped, but thankfully my husband saved me, but I had to go to hospital for a month, and UNFORTUNATELY I have ALOT of memory loss, and can’t remember anything that she sang, can you please tell me the names of her songs?
So…. I’m inferring from this post that if I were to say, bake cookies with you, I’d be allowed to steal handfuls of chocolate chips? And you’re okay with this? Well shoot.
Jessica – I just found your blog, and I think I hate you. By which I kinda mean I love you…but maybe I mean I hate you. Your recipes all look amazing. You like all the music I like (I’ve been told several times that getting into my car is like taking a time machine back to 1996…I love 80s pop, but I LOVE 90s R&B…and hip hop…and my car is literally a 90s music machine). Also, you’re pretty funny. I don’t really like most vegetables (though I’ve been a mushroom fan from way back), and people who really eat a lot of them make me feel guilty – you are not one of those people. These are things that normally make me want to be friends. On the other hand, you’re really quite pretty (which normally doesn’t affect whether we can be friends). That would be fine, except that you’re also clearly on a mission to make me quite overweight with terrible skin. Also…I’m starting to get a little antsy about getting married (I’m not engaged…where is my freaking ring?? I will probably be baking brown sugar butter roasted chicken and caramelized chicken with mushroom sauce and grilled herb bread until there is a rock on my finger, or until I’m so fat I can’t get out the door to get to the grocery store for more butter), and you appear happily married. If not for the first part of that sentence, I wouldn’t begrudge you the second part. But today, I kinda do.
Anyway, I’m excited to keep reading and start following your blog. Best wishes! (or maybe not)
Jessica, just came across your blog and showed my chocolate loving daughter your cupcakes. I had to get a towel and wipe my computer down. I know what we’ll be doing this long weekend! We live north of Pittsburgh in Butler.
I love Marshmallow Fluff. It has an honored spot on my personal “Staples in Your Pantry” list. Your blog is a real treat–love it.
I love your site. Its amazing. I am a vegetarian so I make the mac and cheese cupcakes all the time. I don’t keep marshmallow fluff in my apartment all the time, but I do keep ricemellow since its a little more animal friendly. I don’t know how I went years without it being a pantry staple. And I totally get the butter, I bought 3 pounds at Trader Joe’s this week.
Pingback: Breakfast Cookies | How Sweet It Is