Sweet Corn + Roasted Jalapeno Hummus.
I’m in pain.
First up, I took a walk yesterday when it was SO cloudy that I felt rain drops pelting my head. I am not the dumb girl who doesn’t wear sunscreen when it’s cloudy (um, have you seen my pastiness?), but apparently yesterday… I was the dumb girl who didn’t wear sunscreen when it was cloudy.
I’m a lovely shade a maraschino and a treat to be hugged.
Second, when I made this hummus, I started chanting “wash your hands, wash your hands, wash your hands, then cover them in lemon juice” the instant I finished seeding and chopping the jalapenos so I wouldn’t forget. But then it turned into, “well, I’ll just load the dishwasher before covering my hands in lemon juice.” Then that turned into “I’m just going to sanitize the counters before this whole lemon juice debacle.” And that led to “how about I vaccuum really quick before dealing with the lemons.” And that obviously turned into me peeling my contacts out of my peepers a few hours later (with multiple hand washes, but no lemon juice dousing) and having an absolute meltdown.
Speaking of meltdowns, I think it’s like… my 2012 thing. Melting down. I claim to have a “meltdown” almost every single day, sometimes involving the lack of decent produce at my local dump of a grocery store, or the huge creeper of a spider spinning it’s web outside my kitchen window and then trapping a fly, and my personal favorite: losing it over the way my husband rips the sheets off the mattress mid-sleep every darn night. Chances are, if you speak to me in real life at any point in the day, I will tell you about a meltdown I’m having. Which will probably make you want to stick a jalapeno finger in your eye.
And if you’re wondering why I allllllways talk about touching my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I post a recipe with jalapenos, it’s because I touch my eyes and face with hot-peppered hands every single freaking time I made a recipe with jalapenos. I’m a slow learner. I just can’t get my act together.
A few weeks ago my cousin Lacy made some roasted garlic and jalapeno hummus, and told me to stop on my way home from yoga to eat some. So I did. And I pretty much devoured spoonfuls of hummus for dinner that night. It was delightful. And delicious. And I’ve been craving more homemade hummus ever since.
This dip slash spread slash spoon-meal is incredibly fluffy, possessing almost a “whipped” texture which I can only assume comes from the corn. It has a bit of a bite to it, but nothing too spicy or unmanageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips.
But really, what isn’t manageable when it comes to a bag of blue corn chips? That answer would be nothing.
Sweet Corn + Jalapeno Hummus
- 2 medium jalapenos
- 1 can chickpeas, drained and rinsed (and peeled if you have patience)
- 1/2 cup sweet yellow corn
- 3-4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- To roast the jalapenos, preheat the broiler in your oven and place peppers on a baking sheet. Broil on all sides, flipping once charred. Remove and let cool completely. Additionally, you can grill or even “roast” the peppers on your gas stove (um, I did this) – whatever is easiest for you! Once cooled, chop of the tops and slice the peppers down the middle, remove the seeds and chop.
- Add chickpeas, corn and peppers to the food processor. Blend until combined, then slowly stream in olive oil with the processor running. Add in salt and pepper, then blend once more. Taste and season more if desired. Top with additional corn or peppers if desired and a drizzle of olive oil. Serve with crackers and chips!
If you need me I’ll be up to my elbows in lemon juice all day.