Summertime Seafood Nachos with Grilled Corn + Avocado Cream.
There’s few things worse than returning home from a blissful vacation.
But I have my own opinion on what the absolute worst part is. I know. Me? Having an opinion? REALLY?
Going back to work? It stinks… but it’s not number one on my list.
Having a mountain of laundry to do? Painful, but since chores are never my priority, I often forget about this. The day I have kids? Totally screwed.
Not spending day and night with your amazingly fun family? Sad, but I crave alone time anyway because I’m a freak.
Waking up to a spider crawling on your ceiling instead of the waves lapping on the shore? Yeah… that one really bites.
Let’s get to it: the FOOD. Or should I say, the lack there of food? Or should I say, the lack there of vacation food? It just sucks, period.
Having to come home and be regular and boring with my meals is not my idea of fun. What do you mean I can’t eat two donuts for breakfast followed by my dad’s blueberry pancakes, followed by four pieces of salt-water taffy followed by a mojito before noon? Not fair. And no nightly ice cream on top of all that? After an extended happy hour, flakey fish covered in brown butter and spices, thick and perfect avocado BLTs and let’s be honest – a gelato in there for an afternoon snack all prior to my cone?
I don’t like this one bit.
You mean I actually have to feed myself, like cook things? And feed others? And wash dishes and stuff? This is not my idea of entertainment. Who made up these rules? Unacceptable.
So the deal is… all week I’m eating something like this. I mean allllll week. I actually made these nachos a few weeks ago to go along with the new england clam chowder we had for dinner. It was like a little seafood feast coming out of my not so beachy kitchen. But it wasn’t boring at all, and it was super summery. Because seriously? Summer is flying by. It needs to stop. I’m very annoyed at the rate in which time passes in my life. It’s not fair, and it’s giving me something else to whine about. I think you’d all appreciate an end to my incessant complaining, so let’s just agree to stop time right now.
- 2 pounds of uncooked, fresh seafood of choice (I used Trader Joe’s seafood medley)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 big bag of tortilla chips
- 8 ounces fontina cheese, freshly grated
- 6 green onions, sliced
- 4 ears grilled corn corn cut from the cob
- 1 mango, chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, tomatoes cut in half
- 1/2 cup freshly torn cilantro
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 1 avocado, chopped
- 1/3 cup freshly torn cilantro
- 1/2 lime juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- pinch of pepper
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add butter and olive oil, then add in assorted seafood sprinkled with salt. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 2-3 minutes, until pink and opaque. Add in white wine and stir constantly until alcohol cooks off, about 1-2 minutes.
- Place a thin layer or tortilla chips on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with cheese, corn, seafood, onions, tomatoes and mango. Layer more chips on and continue with cheese and the same ingredients, doing as many layers as desired. One finished, place in the oven for a few minutes, just until cheese is melted and chips are warm. Remove from oven and cover in avocado cream and cilantro.
- To make avocado cream: Add cilantro and avocado to a food processor, blending to combine. Once somewhat smooth, add in sour cream and blend again until combined. Add in limes juice, salt and pepper, taste, and season more if desired.
That’s what I thought.