Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes.
I’m sort of embarrassed.
You know how I usually bake you cupcakes, and then take pictures of them? And then one of those pictures usually has a big, fat hunk taken out of it from when I took a giant bite?
Please note the lack of bitten cupcake pictures.
Because, um… I made these cupcakes… and then I ate two. Like immediately ate two. As in couldn’t-keep-my-paws-off ate two. But the thing is that I didn’t make them for myself to eat. I made them to take to dinner at my parents’ house, to give to my brother who specifically asked for a “treat.”
And I lack all self control, and had to inhale two cupcakes the minute they came out of the oven. Just because. I’m a hot messssss. So when it came to taking a bite for pictures? Uhhh… I just couldn’t go with NINE cupcakes. I mean I was already giving him ten, two less than I should have. And nine is just… embarrassing. Just who do you think I am?
But since I ate two of the cupcakes (did I mention immediately?), I am more than qualified to talk about how fantastic they are.
Oh and the minute my brother saw them… he ate three. Eyes meet cupcake. Cupcake meet face.
So the lack of self control must run in the family of something. I dunno.
Here’s the deal: chocolate cupcakes with dark chocolate chunks, white chocolate chips and waaaaay too much Kahlua. In a good way. Frosted with sweet cream buttercream and just a hint of the liqueur, plus chocolate shavings upon chocolate shavings… we’ve got a good thing going on here. Yes we do.
Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
- 1 1/8 cups all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup kahlua
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 4 ounces of high-quality dark chocolate, coarsely chopped
- 1/2 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 cup (2 sticks) sweet cream butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 1/2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tablespoon kahlua
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a bowl, whisk egg and sugar until smooth and no lumps remain. Add melted butter and vanilla and mix until combined. Sift dry ingredients together and add to wet mixture. Mix until batter is smooth with a large spoon, then whisk in kahlua. Fold in chocolate. Line a muffin tin with liners and using a heaping 1/4 cup measure, add batter to each cup until 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 15-18 minutes. Let cool completely before frosting.
- Beat butter in the bowl of your electric mixer until smooth and creamy, about 2 minutes. Add in powdered sugar gradually (about 1/2 cup at a time) with the mixer on low speed, slowly increasing the speed until it’s combined. Add in vanilla extract and kahlua, then beat on medium-high speed for 3-4 minutes, occasionally scraping down the sides if needed, until white and fluffy. Frost cupcakes and garnish with grated white and dark chocolate.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
I’m actually jealous of myself for eating two. Now I’m starvvving.
127 Comments on “Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes.”
Pingback: Sweet Tooth Love – Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
Mine delfated and stuck to the liners really bad, however, they were delicious!!!
Pingback: Bite + Sip: Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes | My Blog
Pingback: style diaries » Blog Archive » Bite + Sip: Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes
Pingback: Kahlua Chip Cupcakes | kingandcowan
Pingback: Chocolate Kahlua Cupcakes | Pale Yellow
I just made these and followed the recipe to a tee but for some reason they dropped in the middle. I never even opened the oven I just went over to look at 15 minutes and they had all collapsed.
Do you have any idea why?
Pingback: Kahlua and Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes | How Sweet It Is | JustDelicious
hi i tried to do it and belive me i followed every instruction and they were all over the oven they were never formed and i cried like a lot!!! ): i just cant have a good batch
hi i couldnt make them right!!! ): i need help!!! please
where’s the “cream” in the recipe title?
Pingback: Cream Double Chocolate Chunk Cupcakes | EasyFoods
Pingback: Margarita Cupcakes | WatermELLEN
I’ve made this a number of times over the years and it’s still my all time favorite cupcake. I leave off the icing and positivity inhale the cupcakes the moment they’re cool enough to touch. Soooo good!!!