Sweet and Sticky Pomegranate Chicken.
So I know we have this thing in like, three days… this day where we eat a ton of food, but the thing is? We still have three days. Three whole days!!
Says my impatient inner five-year old.
And apparently we need to do normal things like eat actual food for meals while we discuss gravy and mashed potatoes and stuffing and whatnot. I mean, do we really need to eat dinner tonight? I, for one, should probably not eat dinner, and should probably not eat anything for the next three days given the amount of food I consumed over the weekend and given the amount of food I plan on consuming on Thursday, but still… I guess dinner would be a good idea. Maybe lunch too. Breakfast? Probably something green and leafy. Probably something light.
Probably won’t happen. Aye yi yi.
But this totally can happen. I know it looks semi-complicated but I promise it isn’t. And I know you’re busy making lists and fighting with other consumers at your local grocery store and figuring out just where to store that giant turkey and maybe doing things like making three apple pies for your big family, or hey – maybe just yourself, maybe you just really like pie – but I’m confident that you can take 30 minutes or so and make dinner tonight.
Hear that? I’m confident that YOU can. Not sure about me. I may just eat cookies for dinner because I’m going to be in serious withdrawal.
I’m actually fearful.
I modified one of my favorite chicken recipes – these sticky thai chicken wings – to incorporate my autumn fruit obsession. You can use boneless chicken breasts or wings or whatever you’d like, but you can see that I used some chicken legs because they are just so delicious. And you make it all in one skillet! It can easily be served as an appetizer but is also reeeeeeeallly good with jasmine rice. Man I love jasmine rice. It’s just so… jasminey.
- 2 pounds chicken wings or legs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce
- 1/3 cup pomegranate juice
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced or pressed
- pomegranate arils for garnish
- freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. IN a large measuring cup or bowl, mix together chili sauce, pom juice, soy sauce, vinegar, lime juice, brown sugar and garlic.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat and add olive oil. Season chicken with salt and pepper, then place in the skillet and sear on each side until deeply golden and brown, about 2 minutes per side. Remove chicken and place on a plate, turning heat in the skillet down to medium-low. Pour in pomegranate juice mix and whisk, allowing the sauce to bubble and simmer for 1-2 minutes. Place chicken back in the skillet and turn and toss to coat. Bake for 20-25 minutes. Remove chicken and serve with chopped parsley and pomegranate arils.
And there I go being unintentionally Christmasy again, but eh, ’tis the season, right?