Christmas come early…

Pomegranate Margaritas I

K not really, but these are some serious red and green adult beverages we’ve got going on here. Just exactly HOW much fun would it be to drink these together?

Ugh. Let’s do that. Like five minutes ago.

Pomegranate Margaritas I

I didn’t realize their… “Christmas capacity” until I was uploading the photographs, which means that they are perfectly acceptable to drink today, in November, and straight through until December. And afterwards, when pomegranates are still in season. Oh and even after that, because the world has made pomegranate juice highly accessible to us omgyesthankgoodness.

Pomegranate Margaritas I

It’s been no secret over the last few years that I freakishly adore these bright little juicy gems. I don’t even do the whole pull-the-seeds-out-in-water-trick because I love slicing the poms open with a knife (hi my name is Dexter) and sucking the juice out, then working to get those little jewels into a cute tiny pile. Errrrr they are just so cute I want to punch them.

These margaritas aren’t anything too wild because they are a take on my favorite recipe, but listen… it is MY FAVORITE RECIPE. I am super picky about margaritas and can’t stress enough how outrageously dramatic I can get over them. Total flipout.

But would you expect anything less?

Pomegranate Margaritas I

Pomegranate Margaritas

Yield: makes 1 margarita, is easily multiplied

Total Time: 5 minutes

2 ounces Grand Marnier
1 1/2 ounces Tequila
2 ounces pomegranate juice
2 ounce lime juice
1 1/2 ounces simple syrup
coarse salt for the rim
lime + pomegranate arils for garnish

For simple syrup: combine equal parts sugar and water, bring to a boil and let sugar dissolve, then turn off heat and let cool completely.

Rim the ridge of your glass with a lime wedge and dip in margarita salt. Fill the glass with ice. In a cocktail shaker, combine tequila, grand marnier, pom juice, simple syrup and lime juice with ice, and shake for about 30 seconds. Pour over ice and squeeze in extra lime slices. Add some pomegranate arils for decoration.

[This recipe can be easily doubled, quadrupled, etc. Since everyone’s tastes differ, add simple syrup 1/4 cup at a time and go from taste. I also suggest buying the lime juice if you plan on making a pitcher (or 2) considering you’d have to squeeze a billion limes to get enough juice.]

[adapted from my strawberry margs]

Pomegranate Margaritas I

Didn’t think so.

111 Responses to “Pomegranate Margaritas.”

Frozen Drink — November 18, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

This drink is definitely a feast for the eyes. I’ll have to make these for our family Thanksgiving dinner.

Donna — November 28, 2012 @ 4:53 am

Gorgeous …gorgeous…gorgeous…..The most beautiful proclamation of the Yuletide season….in a GLASS!!!….Presently “pomegranite-possessed”…these could potentially preface your scrumptious-looking “Sweet & Sticky Pomegranite Chicken” this weekend…How in tarnation do you keep coming up with these culinary creations??..The energy-organisation skills you evidently OWN…blow me away…I’m already freaking about sending out cards …planning menus and the like…Thank you for providing inspiring recipes for the season…served up with your desperately NEEDED wit at this most hectic time of year!!!

Quick question…Is the simple syrup ingredient measurement done by volume or by weight?…”Equal parts”…meaning half-cup/half-cup” or 200 grams/200grams?..Thank you for any enlightenment and thanks too for all you do.

Emily — November 30, 2012 @ 9:10 am

Made these for the family for Thanksgiving and they were a HUGE hit! Such a great recipe!

cs — January 4, 2013 @ 11:42 am

Made these for family over the holidays and everyone LOVED them!

Laura Lanza — February 23, 2013 @ 12:28 am

The only problem with pomegranates is the stains you get on your fingers from them but they are so delicious!

Giovanna — June 17, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

Is there a virgin recipe for this? Would it basically be just a Shirley Temple? I don’t drink but these look AMAZING.

Prudence — October 20, 2013 @ 1:26 pm

Can Triple Sec be used in place of Grand Marnier?

Tonya Lee — February 25, 2014 @ 7:07 pm

I am drinking this as I type my comment to tell you that I have made many pom margaritas in my day, but this one knocks the rest out of the water. Love the strong (but not toooo strong) essence of orange liqueur (I use Patron’s). Thanks for sharing! Tonya

Ani — September 7, 2014 @ 4:21 am

Thank you for sharing, sounds an amazing dring, must try this for an upcoming party!!!!

1. Pingback: Healthy Thanksgiving Recipes (gluten-free + vegetarian)

2. Pingback: My Thanksgiving Menu + Shopping List! - Nicole Culver