Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins.
I have a huge confession.
I don’t really like coffee cake.
I mean, I like it, but I don’t. It’s not what I would choose in a moment of spontaneous hunger. It would never be picked over a doughnut, which I am apparently obsessed with now. (Crap.) I would never actually eat it while I drink coffee, which just confuses me. It probably wouldn’t be my first choice.
Let’s just say that.
However, if offered a piece I wouldn’t turn it down. Does this make sense? I am a very complex person. Clearly.
Complex and insane.
Then again, I wouldn’t turn down most edible items handed to me unless they started with a b and ended with a roccoli.
Seemingly, I might be in one of those changing-taste-buds phases because now I think I do like coffee cake. BUT. Only in muffin form. I don’t want your square slice of coffee cake covered in streusel. I just want this muffin.
Something about these just made me totally giddy.
Maybe it was the way I piled batter upon streusel upon batter in the muffin tin, taking my chances of overflow. Maybe it is because they are whole wheat but you seriously can’t tell at all, promise and swear. Mean it. Maybe it’s because they actually have a little streusel-type swirl going through the centers which… ahhhh!… was like the best thing I’ve had for breakfast in ages. Simple things excite me.
Whole Wheat Coffee Cake Muffins
- 2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup of plain 2% Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- streusel filling + topping
- 3/4 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. In a bowl, mix together brown sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt for the streusel topping. Cut in cold butter pieces using a fork or your fingers, until small crumbs remain. Set aside.
- In a smaller bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt. In a larger bowl, whisk together eggs and sugar until smooth, then add in yogurt. Whisk for a minute or two (it will start out lumpy!) until combined and light in color, then whisk in cooled butter. Fold in the dry ingredients just until combined. Do not overmix!
- Line a muffin tin with liners or spray well with nonstick spray. Fill the muffin tins almost halfway full with batter, then sprinkle with some of the streusel topping. Add another few tablespoons of batter on top, making sure to slightly press down so the top and bottom batters meet (or else the muffins will sort of separate easily). Top with another handful of the streusel topping.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes, or until golden on top. Serve hot with butter!
Now please come eat breakfast with me.