I’m pretty sure it’s a requirement that you consume something sweet today.
Even if you don’t care about Valentine’s Day and only love yourself (totally acceptable), love yourself with some chocolate. Or ice cream. Or grapefruit sorbet?
I’m a sucker for all things grapefruit. I’m pretty sure it’s an elderly person fruit – I mean, I can say that since I consume it frequently. I guess it certainly complements my taste in music. But the thing is, I’ve ALWAYS loved grapefruit. I used to eat it before elementary school and I think I liked it just because my dad ate it. Nobody else my age enjoyed it. In fact, most found it utterly disgusting and even now, I don’t think I know many people that actually like grapefruit. WEIRD.
Even weirder? I never ate (or eat) my grapefruit with sugar. Which I think it practically the only way half of the grapefruit-eating population devours them. Sure, I’ve tried it. And it’s not that I don’t think it’s delicious, but in a very unexpected and odd way, I prefer the fruit in it’s purest form.
I also prefer to consume my sugar in things like obnoxiously rich cheesecake so yeah… there’s that.
But because of the no-sugar-on-my-grapefruit thing, I wasn’t positive I could get on this sorbet train. Of course, I want to almost eat my Burt’s Bees grapefruit chapstick, I shower with grapefruit body wash and even use grapefruit-scented face wipes, but I just didn’t know how this would go over.
It went over. And over and over. Really, really well. So well, in fact, that I found myself with a spoon standing outside the freezer taking a taste, then shutting the door. Taking a taste, shutting the door. Taking a taste, shu… yeah, you get the point. Until eventually I had to take the whole thing out of the freezer, set it on the counter and go to town. It wasn’t even frozen yet. It was SO FLIPPING FABULOUS. Is it weird to say that this is so delicious it’s almost thirst-quenching? That was the only word that kept popping in my head. That, and REFRESHING. It’s like a tall glass of sparkling, icy lemonade on the hottest day ever. I am in love. Plus, it has two ingredients. Uh huh… two.
Oh oh oh, and can we recognize how huge this is because as we all know, fruit is not dessert. It does not qualify. It does not meet my standards.
I’m making an exception. You should too.
- 5 1/2 cups freshly squeezed grapefruit juice
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- Note: I juiced about 6 large grapefruits to get 5 1/2 cups.
- Combine 1 cup of grapefruit juice and all of the sugar in a saucepan over medium heat. Whisk until sugar dissolves, cooking for about 5-6 minutes. Remove from heat and pour in a large bowl, mixing it with the remaining grapefruit juice. Refrigerate for 25 minutes, or until chilled.
- Once chilled, pour the mixture in your ice cream maker and churn according to the directions. I used the attachment for my KitchenAid and churned it for 25 minutes. After churning, pour in a container (…or loaf pan, ha) and freeze for 6-8 hours until frozen.
Be my valentine?