Crockpot Short Rib Tacos with Salted Lime Cabbage and Queso Fresco.
Newsflash! I have a new obsession.
Lots and lots of short ribs.
Because… I made a lot of short ribs last week. I cooked most overnight in the crockpot to utilize nonworking hours as work time. Win.
I woke up and was eating short ribs right out of that crockpot at six in the morning with a fork.
Basically… I haven’t stopped since.
First, I made some beer-soaked short rib enchiladas and while they were OMGsofreakinggood… the whole shebang sort of overpowered the perfection that is the short rib. Does that make sense? It’s challenging to tell you how delicious something is but then say, hey, it just wasn’t good enough. I just find short ribs to be so incredibly tender and flavorful that too much of anything – even a good thing – can almost… what’s the word… RUIN them. Yeah I said it.
Probably the only time I will admit that copious amounts of cheese were not in my favor.
Round two touched upon tacos. Again, I found myself totally torn. We all know I like obnoxious amounts of makeshift fruit salsa and more than acceptable amounts of cheese on my tacos. Buuuut… I knew I couldn’t do it here. Had to let the short ribs shine!
I’m glad I talk about food like I do about beauty and personal values.
These tacos. Oye. I don’t even know what else to say considering I just professed my love for these little ribs that are short so it’s obvious that I will adore them. So in forcing myself to keep it simple, I warmed the flour tortillas, piled them high with the pulled short ribs that were slow-cooked in spices and beer, them topped them with some lime spritzed cabbage and crumbled queso fresco.
Short rib round three is going to include breakfast. I can’t even wait.
Crockpot Short Rib Tacos with Salted Lime Cabbage and Queso Fresco
- 2.5 pounds beef short ribs
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 8 ounces of your favorite beer
- 8 fajita-sized flour or corn tortillas
- 1/2 small head of green cabbage, thinly sliced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 4 ounces queso fresco cheese, crumbled
- (Note: if you are unsure about how much meat may be on your short ribs, it may be worth asking your butcher how many pounds he/she thinks you need for the amount of people you are feeding, since they all differ.)
- The night before or the morning of, heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Once hot, add short ribs and sear on all sides, just for about 1 minute, until golden and brown. Remove and place in the crockpot. In a small bowl, combine salt, pepper, paprika, onion powder, garlic powder, chili powder and cumin and mix. Sprinkle over short ribs, then pour beer in to the crockpot. Cook for about 8 hours on low, or until meat is falling off the bone. If able to, rotate short ribs once or twice during cooking.
- Once finished cooking, remove with kitchen tongs and set on a large place. Let cool until you can touch them, then remove the meat from the bone.
- In a large bowl, combine cabbage, lime zest and juice with a pinch of salt, tossing well with your hands to coat.
- To serve, warm tortillas first, then assemble tacos with meat first, then cabbage, then crumbled cheese. Enjoy!
PS: I have a super cool margarita coming up in time for this celebration weekend… shocking, I know.