Tequila Lime Chicken and Black Bean Burritos.
I’m going to tell you about something that doesn’t include cheese.
And it is very weird for me.
And it has nothing to do with how I actively participated in some major retail therapy over the weekend.
Or nothing to do with how, after trying to watch for years, I still do not understand Mad Men whatsoever or have any clue what is going on besides that afternoon workday cocktails are encouraged.
And it definitely has nothing to do with the fact that I said screw Mad Men, I’m going to watch the highly edited (read: not worth it) version of the Sex and the City movie on E! for the 436th time in my life, which would do the complete opposite than make me think about fatty dairy I want to consume every second of my life.
It has to do with a burrito.
Something mexican food related that has no cheese? Does not compute. It was a complete oversight on my part too, which scares me even more. I didn’t realize the lack of cheese until later.
I totally planned on making some sort of fabulous trashed up queso. I was excited to tell you all about it. To be your queso queen! Fail.
And the worst part is that without the cheese? These were still… sort of delicious. Does that mean we can classify these as 100% healthy burritos? I believe so. Protein.Lots of fiber.Healthy fats. I mean, I would probably classify this as a healthful meal myself even if it did include massive amounts of cheese, but I know some of my invisible internet friends don’t feel the same way. Whomp whomp.
BUT. Do not fear. I made up for the lack of melty goodness with an obnoxious, borderline inappropriate quantity of guacamole.
Is there any other way?
I definitely swiped the tequila lime marinade from this steak salad, figuring it was so good on beef that I had to try chicken next. I couldn’t bear another salad so soon though. Oh and FYI, burritos might be the worst thing in the universe to take a picture of, ever. Forever evah.
This makes Monday better.
Tequila Lime Chicken and Black Bean Burritos
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1/3 cup tequila
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- zest of 2 limes
- 4 burrito-sized tortillas
- 2 tomatoes, chopped and seasoned with salt + pepper
- 1 cup of black beans
- 1 cup of sweet corn
- 1 cup of shredded lettuce
- 1/2 cup of guacamole
- 1/4 cup freshly torn cilantro
- Whisk tequila, olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper and lime zest in a bowl until combine. Add chicken to a ziplock bag or baking dish and pour marinade ingredients over top. Marinate (in the fridge!) for 2-24 hours, flipping chicken a few times. When you’re ready to prepare the burritos, preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Remove chicken from the fridge and heat a large oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add a drizzle of olive oil or nonstick spray and add chicken, searing both sides until golden brown, about 2 minutes per side. Place the skillet in the oven and bake for 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Remove and shred chicken with two forks.
- To build the burritos, place the tortillas in the hot oven for a minute or two. Once warm, remove and place on a large square of aluminum foil or parchment paper, topping each with an equal amount of the chicken, beans, corn, lettuce, tomato, guacamole and cilantro. And anything else you want! To wrap the burritos, fold in the top and bottom ends, then roll the burrito together from right to left, rolling the foil or paper with it. To eat, either cut down the center with a serrated knife of remove one of the ends from the foil or paper.
I don’t think I will make a career out of burrito wrapping anytime soon.