Taco-Rubbed Burgers with Avocado and Crushed Tortilla Chips.
I’m having a bit of a… burger issue.
I know, I know. Old news. It’s been going on for about six months or so and I won’t shut up about it and well I JUST WANT BURGERS ALL THE TIME. Really, I mean all the time. I want a burger multiple times every week. It’s all very odd to me since it’s somewhat new.
I’m not even discriminating on my burger choice now. Well, wait – I really AM discriminating since the lowest I’ll go is a Five Guys burger but I have definitely drove past multiple fast food restaurants thinking burrrrgerrrrr. It’s nothing short of a miracle that my head hasn’t popped up in a drive thru window.
A few weeks ago I split a taco burger from a local food truck. This was after we split a burger with aioli, a bacon grilled cheese and a hot dog, so don’t go getting disappointed about the whole “splitting” thing. The thing was… I wasn’t quite feeling it at first. I mean if I want a taco? I’ll eat a taco. I wasn’t quite sure about my burger tasting like a taco. It just seemed wrong. It actually seemed pointless. Especially when it came to ground beef.
These burgers were covered in crushed tortilla chips. That alone sealed the deal for me – you know what a texture freak I am. At the time I was pleasantly surprised at how much I enjoyed the taco burger. It was completely different than what I was expecting and if you’re a burger/sandwich fiend like us, a random but nice change of pace. I can totally see this happening with some chicken and turkey burgers too, but first up? I am SO doing this with my double bean burgers. Yeah. Like downright obsessed with the idea. Can you even imagine a taco-rubbed black bean burger with tortilla chips and avocado? My brain just exploded.
I’m also still seriously making the peanut butter bacon burger before the brain explosion. Thoughts? We may have two brain explosions on our hands then.
The moral of this story is that if you eat a lot of burgers, you may adore this idea. If you’re a burger-once-every-three-months kind of fella, then you might miss the whole cheese and bacon and stuff. By the way, can I just say that I’ve always loathed things like lettuce and tomatoes (vegetables, of course) on my burgers but it wasn’t until recently that I figured out why? It’s because a burger is so warm and cheesy. Why add cold crunch to that little sandwiched slice of heaven?
Annnnnd the only thing that I can think of that will make this taco burger better is adding a cheese quesadilla triangle on top. Perfect?
Yeah. That’s definitely happening.
Taco Rubbed Burgers
- 1 pound ground beef, mine was 90% lean
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon smoked paprika
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 tablespoons onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 ounces white cheddar cheese, sliced
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
- blue tortilla chips for topping
- 4 whole grain buns, toasted
- In a bowl, combine ground beef with salt and pepper, mixing to combine. Form beef into four equal patties.
- In a smaller bowl, combine, cumin, paprika, chili, garlic and onion powders together and stir well to mix. Pick up each burger and using your hands, rub both sides and the edges of the burger with the spice rub, gently patting the spice in. To cook, prepare the burger as you’d like – whether grilling it until your desired doneness or cooking it in a hot skillet for about 5 minutes per side. Add cheese on top 1-2 minutes before finished so it has time to melt.
- To serve, add salsa verde to the top of each bun bottom. Top with the burger then add avocado, salsa and crushed tortilla chips on top. Eat!
I hope I never get a handle on this.