Time to play make believe!

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

First… donuts sandwiched in between quinoa and beans makes donuts a reasonable meal. No, not literally. That would be weird. And do you think I’m weird?

But like… technologically. If you eat quinoa on Monday and beans on Wednesday, donuts are totally acceptable – wait no… ENCOURAGED – on Tuesday.

It’s a life law or something.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

Second… props to all these women in the crazy, crowded airports who are physically holding the PRINT version of 50 Shades of Grey in their hands, because unless it was my make-believe world, I wouldn’t have the guts. Even though I exploit my sad little life all over the internets. So there’s that. But I am still your terribly cliched whiney, needy chick who wouldn’t want to be judge by complete strangers. Trust this. Help me.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

Third… when I ate these burgers… I definitely pretended like the avocado cream was made with Greek yogurt. Which it wasn’t. At all. I made it with thick and creamy full-fat sour cream, and ate it in amounts that would only be appropriate if it was plain yogurt. I’m loving being in my own dreamland right now.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

Most people make bean burgers because they are trying to eat less meat, or in fact – they don’t eat meat at all. Not me. I make bean burgers because I am 100% super freaking in lust with beans. Torrid, serious love affair. I almost made beef burgers and added beans straight inside. It’s happening next, just you wait.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

Okay so, the burgers are really incredible. I enjoy them more that those BBQ chickpeas burgers I made a few months ago, and they are packed with enough flavor that I’d MAYBE consider eating them without the bun. Maybe. Maybe not.

Alright, probably not. Whatever.

But the real winner here? It’s the avocado basil cream. I want to slather this on everything humanly possible. And as soon as I get home, I’m going to. Just tryyyy and stop me.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

4 garlic cloves, minced or pressed

1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika

1/2 teaspoon onion powder

1/4 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

6 whole grain buns, toasted if desired

In a large bowl, mash beans with a potato masher or fork. Add in cilantro, garlic, paprika, onion powder, salt and pepper, mixing to combine. In a smaller bowl, lightly beat eggs and add in 1 tablespoon olive oil and panko, stirring to mix. Add the egg mixture to the beans, and mix thoroughly to combine, bringing it together with your hands if needed. Separate the beans into 6 equal sections and form patties.

Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil (or as much as you need). Add burgers and cook on each side until golden, about 5 minutes. Remove and serve with avocado cream on whole wheat buns!

Avocado Basil Cream

2/3 cup sour cream

1 avocado, chopped

10 medium basil leaves, chopped

1/4 teaspoon salt

pinch of pepper

Add basil and avocado to a food processor, blending to combine. Once somewhat smooth, add in sour cream and blend again until combined. Add in salt and pepper, taste, and season more if desired.

Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream I howsweeteats.com

And now I feel so much better. Worthy of another donut.

183 Responses to “Easy Double Bean Burgers with Avocado Basil Cream.”

Caroline — March 6, 2013 @ 3:48 pm

These are amazing! So quick to make and so delicious – much nicer (and probably healthier) than supermarket bean burgers. Even my non-veggie flatmates are in love with them. Thanks for a great recipe! :)

Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles — March 17, 2013 @ 7:36 pm

I made these again earlier this week and I just LOVE, *love*, L.O.V.E. them!!!! Thanks for the inspiration to the deliciousness!
    (my meat eating hubby will even eat them- which I cringe when he does; only because I don’t want to share them!)

Brent Colabrese — May 24, 2013 @ 8:08 pm

Lentils are also commonly used in Ethiopia in a stew-like dish called kik, or kik wot, one of the dishes people eat with Ethiopia’s national food, injera flat bread. Yellow lentils are used to make a nonspicy stew, which is one of the first solid foods Ethiopian women feed their babies..”^^

http://healthmedicinebook.comTake a look at all of the most up-to-date short article on our own blog

Karen Moore — June 7, 2013 @ 7:07 pm

These easy double bean burgers were so incredible. They tend to crumble which was not a bad thing because I used them to make tacos, too. I will try them with an egg substitute because I try to eat vegan most of the time. I have not tried the avocado basil bream yet but will try with vegan sour cream. Thanks for a great burger recipe.

Nicole — December 18, 2013 @ 7:26 pm

These were great!!! So easy and not too many ingredients!! Used Greek yogurt for the sauce and it was so yummy!

April — January 20, 2014 @ 4:45 pm

Hi! I made these yesterday for the first time, thanks to Alexis at Hummusapien giving you a shout out. :) So, mine don’t look nearly as pretty as yours, and they are super crumbly and dry. Hmm. I could have done a better job draining and rinsing the beans… but otherwise i think i was on point. Is that just the nature of these bean burgs, or do you have any suggestions? But I love that they were pretty simple and I just wish you could make them FOR me! LOL. I may try again sometime soon but will still eat my crumbly ones this week. Maybe I just need to slather on more sauce. Microwaving them doesn’t seem to help w/the dryness. Suggestions welcomed! Thanks!

Danielle — March 11, 2014 @ 9:13 pm

I have always wanted to try a veggie burger recipe…thus one was really good. I had trouble with splitting and crumbling too. Anyone else figure out how to avoid this? Thanks for the great recipe :)

Sofie — March 24, 2014 @ 2:06 pm

I just made these burgers and served them with bacon, some cheddar cheese, vegetables & some BBQ sauce. Delicious! Even my meat-loving hubby liked them :)

Fred Green — July 28, 2014 @ 1:13 pm

My only question… How many calories?

Tira — September 20, 2014 @ 11:19 am

These look delish and will try next time I am doing up a batch of Bean burgers. I usually do a big batch every few weeks and freeze. But definitely going to try the avocado cream today with my current batch of bean burgers!

Lindsay — September 20, 2014 @ 2:25 pm

If I used dried beans, how many cups (ounces) do I need?

Karine — September 20, 2014 @ 11:38 pm

Hi,

I would love to try this! But I am wondering are they freezer friendly?? THX :D

Anjila Reddy — September 23, 2014 @ 1:41 am

Just made these tonight for dinner, and they were DELICIOUS. My brother who seems to eat nothing but chicken nuggets even liked it too. Served them with the avocado and basil sauce (which was an absolute winner) and some salsa in a wholemeal bun and can honestly say it was better than any meat burger I have ever had. Thank you so much for this delicious recipe, I urge you all to try it also!

Julie Miller — September 26, 2014 @ 4:19 pm

Even if they’re amazing this wasn’t worth the asinine rambling the article contains.

• Pamela — October 17th, 2014 @ 10:09 pm

@julie I thought u were Rude enjoy the recipe she can write whatever she likes u don’t have to ready!!!

Laura Wade — November 16, 2014 @ 2:49 pm

made these tonight and they were absolutely delicious!! Love the sauce too!! Thank you :o)

Lindsay — November 30, 2014 @ 11:49 am

Can I make these in the oven?

1. Pingback: 27 Of The Most Delicious Things You Can Do To Beans | Sharing Interesting Stuff, Updates News & Free Tips

2. Pingback: 12 Groceries that I Buy Every Sunday (and what I do with them!) | Pepperminting

3. Pingback: Easy Bean Dip Recipe With Sour Cream - Food Recipe