Buttered Popcorn Crunch Brownies.
Say hello to the brownies that save.
Save what, you ask?
Everything of course.
Sugar, salt, chocolate and butter. If that doesn’t save everything then I’m pretty sure we are all doomed.
I don’t know why I think that a batch of brownies covered in popcorn qualifies as an actual recipe. Who do I think I am? Or should I say: I don’t know why I thought that before I ate one.
So I ate one.
Um. I really don’t even have that many words. People in my life that could care less about brownies and popcorn could not stop eating these. It made me feel less alone. Which is saying a lot because I was on the couch searching for my feelings in the 15th anniversary Sex and the City marathon and the bottom of a Talenti pint. Spoiler alert: I didn’t find them.
I have always been the weirdo that has added chocolate to my bowl of popcorn. Have you been one of these weirdos? I hope you’ve been a weirdo. I’d like to be weirdos together.
Here’s the deal: the popcorn is not going to completely stick on this brownie because if it did, we would have a crunchy caramel corn and while it doesn’t sound horrific in the slightest it is not what we’re going for. I wanted actual salted, buttered popcorn on top of a fudgy, chewy chunk of chocolate. And that’s what I’ve got.
The popcorn will stick – you use a hefty drizzle of sweetened condensed milk and chocolate, but if somebody grabs a square, a few pieces of popcorn may dribble down. That is when you just eat those little pieces.
You could also just crumble some brownies in a vat of popcorn but… what would be the fun in that?
Buttered Popcorn Crunch Brownies
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2 ounces high-quality milk chocolate, melted
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup chocolate chips/chunks
- 3 cups freshly popped popcorn
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/4 teaspoon flaked sea salt
- 3/4 cup sweetened condensed milk, approximately
- 2 ounces high-quality milk/dark chocolate, your preference
- 1/2 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Grease an 8×8 baking pan with butter or nonstick spray liberally.
- In a large bowl, combine melted butter with sugar and vanilla extract, whisking until combined and almost smooth. Whisk in each egg one at a time, stirring until a smooth batter forms. Stir in oil and melted chocolate. Add in flour, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt, stirring until combined. Fold in chocolate chips. Spread batter in the 8×8 baking dish and bake for 25-30 minutes until set. Remove and let cool.
- Pop popcorn and coat with melted butter and sea salt, tossing well. Melt milk chocolate and stir in coconut oil until completely smooth.
- Once brownies are cool, remove them from the pan in one bit square. Set them on a sheet of parchment paper and cut into equal pieces, but keep the brownies pushed together into one big square. Slicing them ahead of time just makes it simpler so you don’t have to cut through the popcorn. Add a drizzle of condensed milk on top of the brownies and add a layer of popcorn. Continue to drizzle and layer popcorn on top (you do not have to measure anything purposely – it’s all fun!) until the popcorn is sort of “stuck” to the brownies and each other. It will never be super sticky and in one piece, but that’s the fun of it – this way it’s truly like buttery popcorn and not like caramel corn. Drizzle chocolate over top.
- Let brownies sit for about 20-30 minutes so the chocolate can firm up a little, then serve immediately. These really do need to be eaten the day they are made since the popcorn is fresh.
Is this real life?