Boozy Watermelon Granitas with Coconut Whipped Cream.
Finally! Something you don’t need to turn your oven on for.
It’s so desperately needed.
Ever since spying these mouth-watering granitas with my little eye I’ve been craving the heck out of some. I figured that it had been… probably… a few years since my last granita? I’ve been granita deprived for what seemed like aaaaages.
However, as I continue to type granita and spellcheck not-so-nicely likes to autocorrect said word to “granite,” memories come flooding back and I realize that I made some granitas just last year. Like chocolate granitas. How could I forget about CHOCOLATE GRANITAS! I couldn’t. Because my macbook reminds me with the squiggly red lines.
As a side note, no computer, I would not like to eat any granite. Get with the program.
These little treats are also a result of my obnoxious melon infatuation that’s going on at the moment… I know, I know. I’ve told you all about it a million times. I also only want to talk about watching the West Wing right now because it’s sort of the most exciting thing happening in my life, but after tweeting incessantly about it yesterday with others perhaps I should take a break. Except I really want to eat this granita with the whole faux white house staff (Sam Seaborn I’m looking at you) from over ten years ago. TEN YEARS people. This is huge. I’m such a TV snob and rarely like to watch older shows that I wasn’t hooked on from the beginning. For some idiotic reason. Alas, I’m hooked with a capital H.
Do I need a life? I need a life.
It’s so hot out that my little granitas won’t even stay icy.
I feel like people can be pretty picky about watermelon, but I’m not one of those people. I adore all the watermelon things, ranging from the fresh stuff to the seriously artificial bubblegum which is easily my favorite flavor. Watermelon candles are burning in my kitchen. I’m a watermelon fahreak.
Depending on how sweet your melon is (aw), you may not even need all of the sugar here. So say it with me… health food. And the coconut whipped cream is just so… so… decadent. It’s to die for. The combination of the two makes this totally light dessert seem a bit rich. It’s icy but creamy and sweet but not too sweet and just GAH.
Boozy Watermelon Granitas with Coconut Whipped Cream
- 4 cups fresh cubed watermelon
- 4 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup coconut rum
- 1 (14-ounce) can of full-fat coconut milk, refrigerated overnight
- Add the watermelon to a blender and blend until completely pureed. Strain the mixture through a fine mesh sieve over a measuring cup and use a spoon to press every last bit of liquid out of the watermelon pulp.
- Add the watermelon juice and sugar to a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir constantly until the sugar dissolves and once the liquid comes to a boil, turn off the heat. Pour the juice into a 9×13-inch baking dish and whisk in the rum. Freeze for 4 hours then use a fork and scrape the mixture into small icy bites. Freeze again and repeat the scraping one or two more times withint the next two hours or so.
- When ready to serve, open the can of cold coconut milk and discard (read: use it for something else, don’t pitch it!) all of the liquid. Scoop the cream into the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on high speed with a whisk attachment until peaks form, about 2 minutes. If desired, you can sweeten your coconut whipped cream with a little sugar. Serve the granitas by layering a spoonful of the whipped cream, the granitas and more whipped cream. Add a spring of mint if you wish!
- Note: you can obviously use regular whipped cream if you wish and a different booze too!
You can use other fruits… other booze… oh the possibilities.