Chipotle Beer Shrimp Quesadillas with Spicy Guac.
There is one thing I am craving during this heat wave.
And I mean, besides a margarita.
All I want are crisp, fresh things. Like fruit and shrimp and stuff like that. Sort of salads, but not really. Since you know how I like my salads. More like melon and milkshakes and things that are water-packed and ultimately cool me down.
If I’m being honest, I really just want popsicles but keep forgetting to buy them and have been too lazy to make my own. Plus… it would probably be physically impossible of me to not accidentally on purpose drop some booze into the popsicle mold.
The thing is though that when it comes to beverages, one healthy habit I was born with was to freaking love water. Like, LOVE it. Most days it is all I crave and all I drink. I love it plain, even from the tap. It rarely bores me. I don’t like bubbles. I even remember leaving dance classes when I was younger (we’re talking like 8 years old) and just wanting a giant glass of water and nothing else. I believe that it’s the universe’s way of making up for my asinine adoration of things like bacon and cheese. Oh, bacon cheeseburger with ice water to drink? Automatically healthy. Jessica justification.
So that’s why a marg isn’t the number one thing on my mind. I like to drink those in addition to my water but since I perspire like a man, I’m better off chugging a gallon of water THEN getting my salty rimmed tequila drink on ice.
Needless to say, these quesadillas certainly don’t mind a margarita as an accompaniment. The shrimp is marinated in beer so an ice-cold Corona will do the trick too. The quesadillas are also stuffed with mango and tomatoes and are just… refreshing. Well you know, as refreshing as a quesadilla can be. If you have one of those electric griddles or skillets then you don’t even need to turn on the oven. I freaking love mine. We use it constantly.
Oh and I paired it with some quick guacamole that’s mixed with a little heat. So good.
And then I sat in the air conditioning for the rest of the night so I didn’t melt into a giant puddle. Am I one of those people who wants it to be summer all year round and then the minute that it is summer I complain about it being summer? Yep. I am.
- 1/2 pound raw peeled + deveined shrimp
- 8 ounces of your favorite beer + 2 tablespoons
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 lime, juiced + zested
- 1 tablespoon adobo sauce, from a can of chipotles in adobo
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped chipotle peppers
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 4 8- inch flour tortillas
- 6 ounces freshly grated monterey jack cheese
- 4 green onions, sliced
- 1/2 mango, peeled and chopped
- 1/2 pint grape tomatoes, quartered
- 1 avocado, mashed
- 1/2 jalapeño pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped cilantro
- 1 teaspoon adobo sauce
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Place the shrimp in a large baking dish or ziplock bag. Cover it with the 8 ounces of beer, lime juice and zest, adobo sauce and peppers, salt and pepper. Refrigerate and marinate for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes, heat a skillet over medium high heat and add the shrimp with the remaining 2 tablespoons of beer. Cook until the shrimp is pink and opaque, abut 3 to 5 minutes.
- To make the quesadillas, heat a large nonstick skillet or electric griddle over medium-low heat. Add a bit of cheese on the bottom of each tortilla, then divide the shrimp evenly between the two. Cover with the mango, tomatoes, onions and remaining cheese, then top with the other tortillas. Cook until the cheese is melted and the sides of the tortillas are crispy. Serve with the guacamole, sour cream or greek yogurt and extra mango.
- Combine all ingredients together and mash until combined.
Summer food wins.