Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Whipped Cream.
I’m saving you today with Friday food.
Friday food is the best. Friday food is essentially calorie-less because, well… that’s what we tell ourselves. Things like pizza and cocktails and doughnuts are practically mandatory on this day because FRIDAY. That’s why. Because we say so.
Also, I’m putting chocolate things in bread that isn’t meant to have chocolate. People are probably going to get angry.
Did you guys ever celebrate St. Nicholas Day? On the morning of December 6th, we’d always find gold chocolate coins in our shoes. It’s slightly horrifying right now as I mention it considering I actually ate something that was inside of my shoe, but I’ll admit that my first December 6th away from home (probably in college?) was a bit sad since my shoes were totally empty. Two weeks ago I spied some gold chocolate coins at Trader Joes and threw them in my cart out of nostalgia. Eh… didn’t really have the same effect.
So today, instead of putting chocolate in my shoes, it’s going in bread. Sort of the same thing! Not really.
Yesterday my mom and I did a marathon Christmas shopping day – I’m talking like almost twelve hours out of the house. I probably walked three miles while shopping and got a great core workout from carrying my bags while trying not to break my neck, which is a good thing since I finished the night off with peppermint bark cheesecake.
The extent of my exhaustion is slightly crippling but I’m also about to make one of the best Christmas cookies I’ve ever made sooo… there’s that. Little things little things.
I even managed to successfully Christmas shop for others without Christmas shopping for myself. Usually it’s like… ugh, one for them… one for me. No. Not this time. I am rocking it. Since I’m on a roll, I’m going to finish off this whipped cream for breakfast.
I’ve made popovers twice before, but I finally broke down and bought a popover pan. It just makes popover life a little easier and um, totally huge. Like really huge. These popovers are massive – so much more massive than the ones that came out of my muffin tins.
Worth it? I’d say so. Also, P.S. – Target, my friends. Target. Got my popover pan there on the cheap. I’m just going to take up residence.
For my friends who aren’t really into super sweet treats, these are for you. I may not understand you but I love you all the same. These are not sweet – not even any sugar in the popovers – but the dark chocolate chunks are just enough. The whipped cream isn’t meant for sweet teeth either, but add more sugar if you’d like… easy as that. Some syrupy fruit would make an awesome addition.
Basically what I’m saying is that you should just eat these for breakfast or dinner or both.
Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Whipped Cream
- 4 tablespoons brown butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 cup milk, slightly warm in temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, chopped and tossed in a bit of flour
spiked whipped cream
- 1 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon bourbon
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Brush a popover pan (or a muffin pan) with 2 tablespoons of the brown butter.
- Add the eggs to a blender and puree until combined. Add in the warmed milk, the vanilla, remaining butter, flour and salt, blending until the batter is combined.
- Place the pan in the oven and heat it for 5 minutes. Remove it from the oven and pour the popover batter in the pan, filling the tins 3/4 of the way full. Add half of the chopped chocolate to the tins. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes and do NOT open the oven!
- Once the popovers are finished, remove them from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining chocolate. Let cool slightly before serving with whipped cream.
spiked whipped cream
- Add the heavy cream and bourbon to the bowl of your electric mixer. Beat on low speed, gradually increasing to high speed, until peaks form and the whipped cream is thick. Beat in the sugar and vanilla extract, then serve.
Did you make this recipe?
Be sure to follow @howsweeteats on instagram and tag #howsweeteats. You can also post a photo of your recipe to our facebook page.
I appreciate you so much!
Gah! So fluffy!
59 Comments on “Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers with Spiked Whipped Cream.”
I almost bought a popover pan at World Market this weekend with my $10 birthday rewards. But I ended up buying a white cake platter instead. Kind of kicking myself at the moment. These look amazing!
Pingback: Dark Chocolate Chunk Popovers | What The Efff
Have been wanting a popover pan forever and now I really need to get one. The muffin pan works okay, but don’t get as much pop as I would like. Thanks for the great idea!
I make regular popovers all the time and I can assure those who don’t have a popover pan, that there is a huge difference in the popovers over a muffin pan. I do fill it a little more than 1/2 though.
I was wondering if you think that chocolate ships would work as well. The mini’s or regular. What do you think?