This is how we do it… step it by step.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

In my opinion, the best part about this is that you don’t have to use softened butter… otherwise known as my arch nemesis. I think we all know that I sort of lack that thing called patience. So it works with cold butter, room temp butter, all butter! No discrimination.

I do, however, like to use unsalted butter. But that’s just me.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

I add the butter to this cute little saucepan that was Mother Lovett’s. It’s my favorite butter-browning tool, and it’s a miracle that I have not destroyed it yet since every other one of her kitchen tools – like ones that she was able to keep flawless for 30 years – I ruined within months. Not intentionally, of course. Probably has to do with that whole patience thing.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

Personally, I turn my heat on right smack in the middle to medium. The butter melts fairly quickly but I never take my eyes off of it. If this is your first time browning butter or if you have burnt a lot of butter in your day, start with medium-low to low heat. Just know it will take a bit longer.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

Immediately start whisking! Once I start, I never stop.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

The butter will get all bubbly. Sometimes it foams a little more than above. Sometimes it doesn’t. I find that all sticks of butter are slightly different. How special.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

Soon after it starts to bubble, you will see those little brown bits on the bottom. You will probably smell them as well. The MINUTE I see those start to form, I turn off the heat. I continue to whisk though.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

I set my little pan on a potholder on the counter and continue to whisk for another 30 seconds or so. See all those brown dots? Pure caramely, buttery goodness.

And don’t worry… you will know if you burned the butter. You will know.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

Depending on how I’m using the brown butter will determine how I store it. Sometimes I make it to use immediately, like in lasagna or other pasta dishes. Sometimes I make it at the beginning of a recipe – like with cookies or muffins – and let it cool slightly before proceeding. In this case, I made it to simply store in my fridge so I can slather it on, well… everything.

And that’s a wrap.

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

How To Brown Butter

Total Time: 5-10 minutes

Ingredients:

4 tablespoons unsalted butter

Directions:

Place butter in a small saucepan over medium heat and immediately begin whisking. Stir as it bubbles, and after 2-3 minutes or so you should see brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. Remove from heat immediately and continue to whisk for another 30 seconds or use. Use as desired!

How To Brown Butter - Step By Step I howsweeteats.com

[This is the first post in a whole cluster of posts where I tell you exactly how I do things. Even if they're wrong.]

151 Responses to “Exactly How I Brown My Butter.”

Jen — October 13, 2012 @ 8:07 pm

I’ve become so obsessed with your blog over the past few months! I’m a Pennsylvania girl who moved to Montana. I love getting a feel for home while being inspired for so many recipes! My boyfriend, a chef, loves your soup recipes. But I just wanted to comment here to tell you that, having never made brown butter (and feeling left out from the blog world), I used this tutorial to make it for an apple crisp recipe! I linked back to your tutorial when I shared the recipe because it was just so straight forward and the photos really helped! Thanks for sharing!

xo,Jen.

Di — October 29, 2012 @ 8:35 pm

Tonight, in the midst of Hurricane Sandy while watching a marathon of Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, I decided to make a brown butter sauce for the pumpkin ravioli I bought at the local farmer’s market a few weeks ago. I found a recipe online for the sauce and went at it until the moment I KNEW I burned it. Oh, did I ever know. Then I remembered seeing your post a couple of days ago. Thank you for saving my Hurricane Sandy dinner! It turned out fabulously with your instructions. And I kinda want helping number 2. Midnight snack? It will still be hurricaning outside… that’s a real excuse. you can check.

Natalie @ In Natalie's Shoes — January 3, 2013 @ 2:13 pm

Oooh, thanks! This sounds heavenly. I’ve never browned butter before, but it looks like I’m going to have to try it.. And look for new recipes to use it in!

Heather — March 4, 2013 @ 10:49 pm

What a great step by step post! I included it on my blog (http://bostongirlbakes.blogspot.com) about a brown butter blondie recipe I made! Thanks!

Grace - Fun Little Things — April 3, 2013 @ 8:54 pm

I just discovered your blog (through Pinterest) and I am obsessed already! I love when you said this is the first in a series of posts where you tell cactus how you do things, even if its wrong! That is exactly how I feel doing my sewing tutorials on my blog!

Denise — May 18, 2013 @ 9:06 pm

Wow, this worked perfectly. I recently started a blog about cooking things I have never tried before and brown butter is something I have not made. Your site showed me how to do it perfectly so this will become a “divine” post on my blog. Thanks!

jill — August 5, 2014 @ 9:23 pm

Love the Farberware! It does work wonders…

1. Pingback: Brown Butter Apple Kuchen - honey & figs

2. Pingback: Apples, Peppers, and Pumpkins – OH MY! | What The Efff

3. Pingback: Recipe: Brown Butter Snickerdoodles - Adventures in Life, Love and Librarianship

4. Pingback: Roasted Garlic Fries with Brown Butter & Parmesan Cheese | Milo and Oats

5. Pingback: Brown Butter – Brown Sugar Bars | The Monday Box

6. Pingback: eggnog chocolate chip bread

7. Pingback: Cider Bourbon Apple Pie with Oatmeal Cookie Crumble. (in other words, the tale of never fail pie crust, part two.) | How Sweet It Is

8. Pingback: Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Cake

9. Pingback: Homemade Pumpkin Puree | How Sweet It Is

10. Pingback: “The Legend of Sleepy Hollow” Brown Butter Buckwheat Pancakes

11. Pingback: Exactly How I Make My Homemade Pumpkin Puree. » Easy Recipe

12. Pingback: Brown Butter Tilapia with Basil Butter Breadcrumbs | How Sweet It Is

13. Pingback: Pumpkin Pasta w/ Brown Butter, Pancetta & Pine Nuts | the milk truck

14. Pingback: How To Make Gravy | How Sweet It Is

15. Pingback: Georgia Peach and Blackberry Pie | Culinary Comfort

16. Pingback: Exactly How My Mom Makes Her Awesome Gravy. | pinmeplease

17. Pingback: Whipped Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potatoes - Informant Daily

18. Pingback: Angie’s Recipe of the Day: Browned Butter Whipped Butternut Squash | Aegis Team Crossfit

19. Pingback: Loaded Banana Muffins | Paint Chips And Frosting

20. Pingback: The Giant Cookie | Sincerely, Sunday

21. Pingback: bourbon bacon whipped sweet potatoes | cooking from the heart

22. Pingback: GF Brown Butter Chocolate Chunk Cookies | Em the Baker

23. Pingback: Brown Butter Sugar Cookies | BHG Delish Dish

24. Pingback: Whipped Bourbon Bacon Sweet Potatoes | Informant DailyInformant Daily

25. Pingback: Schmancy Tuna Noodle Casserole | Nerds and Nomsense

26. Pingback: How To: Brown Butter Like a Boss | ENTRÉE the GIANT

27. Pingback: nutella pretzel brownies | the wonder cookie

28. Pingback: The Dadgum Debutante How-to Hostess: Menu for a Super Bowl Soiree - The Dadgum Debutante

29. Pingback: Banana Bread Scones with a Brown Butter Glaze |

30. Pingback: {recipe : fontina & spinach baked eggs with garlic brown butter breadcrumbs} « This is Glamorous This is Glamorous

31. Pingback: Dining for Dummies: Words You Think You Know, But Really Don’t | SideDish

32. Pingback: Brown Butter Peach Almond Crisp | OH MY BREAKFAST

33. Pingback: Golden Butterscotch White Chocolate Cookies : LeelaLicious

34. Pingback: Brown Butter Strawberry Tart | Honey + Hawthorn

35. Pingback: Small Wooden Spoon

36. Pingback: Recipe: Perfect Chocolate Chip Cookies | Bake. Create. Love.

37. Pingback: Madeleines | Desserts, Pastries, and Other Delights

38. Pingback: Homemade Carrot Cake with Brown Butter Cream Cheese Frosting | keepmyhairblue

39. Pingback: Bourbon Bacon Whipped Sweet Potatoes with Brown Butter and Crispy Sage - Easy To Cook Recipes

40. Pingback: Roasted Sweet Potato Risotto | Best Recipe Cookbook

41. Pingback: Butternut Squash Enchiladas | Best Recipe Cookbook

42. Pingback: Ozark Natural Foods | Gluten-Free Thanksgiving Recipes

43. Pingback: First Date Cookies | Sincerely, Sunday

44. Pingback: Butternut Squash, Pear + Curry Brown Butter Soup | The Dreaming Foodie