Real Life Wednesday: On 52 Random Facts.
[hi hi. i’m finishing up my book edits and coming out of obscurity later this afternoon. for now, we’re doing this. i jacked this idea from, oh, i don’t know, like thousands of blogs i’ve seen over the last four+ years. it’s long. i’m wordy. i don’t ever shut up. it can be a bit much. i get it.]
[p.s. please share something random with me so i feel less vulnerable and freakish. k thanks bye.]
1. I have zero fashion sense and no eye for interior design. I mean, I can pick things out that I like (hello neon, pastel, black, leopard print everything), but when it comes to putting things together it is one giant hot mess.
2. I still haven’t changed my last name. I never intended to keep my maiden name but I did so… mostly out of laziness… and five years later I’m still using it. I actually would like to change it but it seems a little late (and confusing) now.
3. I was petrified of animals when I was a kid and cried for hours when my parents said we were getting a dog.
4. I went into college as a history major and have an absolute fascination with all things American history.
5. The only thing I like to drink cold is iced coffee, otherwise I prefer my water or beverages to be room temperature. So weird.
6. I still can’t get into the habit of making our bed every morning. I need to grow up.
7. I don’t understand how people can’t be insanely passionate about SOMETHING. It’s just how I’m wired.
8. As a kid, I hated butter. My mom used to butter our bread for sandwiches and I’d have a complete meltdown. On the same note, I once walked into the kitchen and found one of my brothers eating a stick of butter straight up.
9. The most challenging time in my life so far was the first year or so of marriage. If you read my blog back then, you probably get this.
10. The second most challenging time was my freshman year of college. Never ever want to relive that.
11. The only drink I ever crave is water. Carbonation burns my throat.
12. I rarely can read an entire book without reading the last few pages first. I ruin everything.
13. I could never go camping. Please don’t make me.
14. I rarely have interest in the bread basket on the table at dinner. I find it to be boring.
15. Also, I can pass up cake at a birthday party 85% of the time. It has to be over the top to interest me.
16. I am insanely disgusted by entitlement. See also: I don’t think there is a thing such as working too hard.
17. I love my work so much that many nights I wish I didn’t need sleep to function.
18. Even though I get emotionally attached to TV shows and books, I don’t get emotionally attached to objects and can throw most stuff away without batting an eye. I’m not a pack rat.
19. I succumbed to peer pressure and did a juice cleanse last year… and thought it was horrific. Made it all three days though.
20. I’ve never drank (drunk?) a glass of milk in my life.
21. I never cared for cartoons when I was a kid. I’ve never seen the little mermaid or bambi. Who am I?
22. I didn’t get my ears pieced until I was 18. My mom still doesn’t have hers pierced.
23. I’ve had my hair done by the same person for over 20 years and can’t imagine anyone else touching it.
24. I’m not super into astrology but believe I’m a scorpio to a T. Seriously. Like to a TEEEE.
25. I took over six years of Spanish but absorbed nothing other than “Hola.”
26. I am scared of the dark. Not kidding.
27. I cannot stand someone touching my feet. EVER.
28. I have a killer memory. My husband hates it. Apparently not when it comes to learning other languages though.
29. I couldn’t have cared less about antiques until I started photographing food.
30. I never get road rage and don’t believe in it. I feel like it’s the biggest waste of time and a ridiculous use of emotional resources.
31. I’ve never put a cigarette to my lips, ever.
32. I couldn’t get into Breaking Bad. I know. My taste is wretched.
33. My first job was at a car wash. And I definitely wrecked a customer’s car while pulling it out of the wash.
34. I fangirl over my favorite authors way more than any actor or musician.
35. I did my own makeup on my wedding day. Looking back now, I so shouldn’t have.
36. I can no longer watch horror films. The Strangers ruined everything for me.
37. One of my life fears is that my future kids will be bullied.
38. I can’t fathom what it’s like to “forget” to eat. That is a foreign concept to me.
39. I got my belly button pierced in college and it was a nightmare. It lasted about a month before I decided that I hated it.
40. I can’t keep the inside of my car clean to save my life. Like to the point where Eddie refuses to drive it.
41. The smooth jazz Pandora station is playing on my computer right now. And often.
42. For over 10 years, my go-to quote has been “when you want something you’ve never had, you must do something you’ve never done.” A Thomas Jefferson one, I believe.
43. I broke my arm twice: once when I was 18 months old and the second when I was a tween and one of my brothers threw a football under my bike tire. While I was riding it.
44. I don’t miss personal training at all, even though it was what I wanted to do from the age of 16 and I was obsessed with my job at the time.
45. I still wish that skinny jeans never came into style.
46. I’m don’t feel ready to have kids but want a big family in the future so riddle me that. Time’s a tickin’!
47. Twice in my life I’ve cut my hair to almost chin-length, removing like 10+ inches. Hilariously enough, it was after my college freshman year and a month after I got married (see #’s 10 & 11) I’m such a cliché.
48. I call myself a faux country music fan because I wasn’t really into it until I met Eddie. Now, however, I’m obsessed and it’s almost all that I listen to. I like the new “pop-pier” stuff though. You can hate me. It’s okay.
49. I have zero desire to eat most fast food, and it’s not even a food snob thing. I just don’t think it tastes that good?
50. I did tae bo religiously in high school. Billy Blanks for life.
51. My first real crush was on Patrick Swayze in Dirty Dancing. I started my blog on the day that he died and reference him in my first post.
52. I loathe almost everything I “create” or write when I look back on it later. I’ve heard this is normal behavior for someone in a creative field but I definitely never consider myself to be a creative person.
175 Comments on “Real Life Wednesday: On 52 Random Facts.”
I must admit, I don’t normally read these types of posts on the blogs I follow but I greatly enjoy your writing style, so I read yours! So fun.
I’ve followed you for many years. I’m a guy. Why have I followed you? And enjoyed it????
Don’t think you have ever written anything guy-like
thank you gramps!! :)
I have a scar on the top of my left foot from where I ran over my own foot with my tricycle when I was 3.
I can’t keep indoor plants alive for more than 2 months, except for two cacti I was given at a birthday party when I was in 4th grade (It was a Wild West theme). I’m 25 now, so I’ve had them for nearly 15 years. Even the birthday girl’s have died.
With you on the room-temperature beverages! I find cold drinks harder to swallow. And just like you, I can’t stand carbonated beverages, and even non-carbonated beverages are sadly inferior to water. ;)
On the other hand, I love camping, and I would never, ever get a belly button piercing.
My number one fear as a little kid was Nazis. I had precisely zero exposure to Holocaust survivors or anything approaching it in by beach town in Australia, but still I was terrified that Nazis were going to show up at my house and take away my parents.
I’m a graduate student right now. In German History.
Pretty sure I’m a total psycho.
this made me laugh. just because it is totally something that sounds like me.
Number 42….reason I have started my blog! I much rather prefer iced coffee or iced beverages over hot! Doesn’t matter if it is snowing or not, I will be drinking iced coffee. And number 52… I am glad I am not the only blogger who is constantly trying to improve!
Ummmm OK the Strangers! I am always SO scared to be in my cabin at night now. Also, I don’t miss meals either, like ever. And when I do because I’m busy, i turn into a monster. Like, look out!
In high school I took a typing class and 1 week in I broke my right arm, so I learned to type with just my left hand. HA
Someone else wrote about how they avoid sidewalk grates at all costs…I’m exactly the same. They’re so hard to avoid in NYC, but I still love the city.
I “watch” movies over and over again because I like the music they play in the movie…why don’t I just put on the soundtrack? I have no idea.
#12 — Me too. :) I do go back and read the whole thing. (And people are shocked every time when they find out that I do this….)
I have really enjoyed your blog and recipes. Like you, I never miss a meal. I love food but not fast food. I also prefer water or hot green tea, not carbonation. Once in awhile I like a Pepsi Max for the caffeine but it is very carbonated and makes me burp a lot.
I also can never ever keep my car clean! My husband is car (and cleanliness) obsessed and is continually grossed out by it. BUT i love having a clean kitchen. One of the most romantic things you could do for me would be to wash my dishes.
I often worry about the things my future kids might struggle with, like bullying, with is especially pathetic now considering that my boyfriend of over two years who I kind of thought I might marry dumped me and now I’m definitely years and years away from marriage, let alone children. So yeah. Also, I have a sister who is one of those forget to eat people and has to actively remind herself to take care of herself and i’m just like what is wrong with you? We all have our burdens I guess.
Ok so I found you on instagram and have been so glad ever since. I absolutely love love you & your blog. I cannot wait for the cookbook. I won’t give you all my randomness I will just say if you give me a card just know its going in the trash after I read it. I just don’t keep stuff and after i read it I don’t see the point of keeping it, my family thinks its so rude but they just give me simple cards now because they know I’m going to throw it away.
#52 yes!. I’m such a genius (self-proclaimed, of course) and oh-so satisfied when I submit something – but then I really hate it later. Like, to the point of embarrassment.
#49 fast food is the worst. all of it (except authentic Mexican joints out here … their burritos rock). and except shamrock shakes. those are glorious.
#37 I’ve worried about this since Morgan was born, at which point I had been dating Cassie for a whopping 3 months. Obsessed uncle, much? Why can’t we just protect EVERYBODY?
And a random fact from me: besides water, I HAVE to shake bottled drinks before I drink them. Even if they don’t require shaking (like vitamin water and gatorade). And I have to shake it before each and every sip. Cups and such are fine without shaking, but not bottles. You’re not the only freak out there, pretty lady :o)
You will never be “ready” to have kids. Never. Ever. Even if someone thinks they’re ready – they are NOT! I’m on number 3. Only until this child do I think that I was “prepared.” Thank you for the nonsense you bring into your posts. It makes reading them more fun!
I for real just choked when I got to the part about the little mermaid! It’s one of my all time favorites!!
I’m with you on the lack of fashion sense and interior design! I feel like if I look at enough of both on pinterest I may eventually “absorb” some! Hope hope!
Jess, I LOVE you. End of story.
#11: I completely agree. I was the freak who would just tell others I was allergic to pop so I wouldn’t have to discuss how much I hated the feeling of carbonation burning my entire mouth and throat. I still don’t particularly care for it, but have come to tolerate it occasionally mainly in the form of sprite, ginger ale (my go-to on flights), and sparkling wine.
#38: I’ve never been able to “forget” to eat, either. It’s like every 4 hours my stomach begins to growl.
The only reason I make my bed in the morgning is beacause one of my best friends brought a bedspread for me when she had vacation in Peru and then dragged it all the way back to Sweden for me. It so amazingly beautiful that I wanna look at it every day —> have to make the bed.
The more things in the ice cream, the better. Chocolate chips, cookie dough, candy sprinkles, caramel sauce – GIVE ME (obvious a B&J-fan)
I have a twin brother and absolutely believe there is a special connection between twins.
Fun to share! Lovin it. :)
agreed on the twin connection – my best friend had twins 7 months ago and the connection we can already see is crazy!!
I LOVE this list, it was so fun to read and I found myself laughing at certain random facts and nodding my head in agreement with others….PS, I almost ALWAYS flip ahead to the end of a book, I have too much anxiety otherwise…but I still finish the book. Also, watch Bambi please…. :)
I don’t like skinny jeans. At. All. Unless they are hidden under cute boots, of course. I’m totally afraid of the dark. I’ll be 30 next year…it’s fine.
#21 – The Little Mermaid is one of my favorite Disney films….I highly recommend it!
I LOVE peanut butter & I LOVE pancakes…but not together…
I’m a HUGE bookworm, but #12 on your list ( 12. I rarely can read an entire book without reading the last few pages first. I ruin everything ) is something I do 99.9% of the time. GUILTY! Oh well, at least I know now I’m not the only one… c(=
my husband haaaaates that i do this. i don’t know why i do it!
Not gonna lie – your #18 makes me really sad. I am from the south where we pass down many family treasures. One should never surround themselves with useless sh!t.
whoa whoa – i definitely have family treasures! a pack rat is someone who holds on to useless crap, and i don’t. i can easily through that stuff away. but of course i have things that have been passed down!
Seriously, The Strangers is what stopped me from enjoying scary movies too. I’ve always enjoyed a scary, thriller, mystery but when my husband and I went to see this, I came out basically traumatized. I have also never held or had a cigarette. Just never really appealed to me I guess.
Loved reading these! I don’t know if you feel comfortable elaborating on #10, but I’ll be going to college soon and would love to hear any advice you might have. :)
I don’t like chocolate. I drive 5 hours, every 3-4 months, to get my hair done by the one and only lady who has ever touched my hair. I’m waiting for my daughter to have enough hair so she can get her first hair cut from the person who gave me my first hair cut. I changed my last name but I still use my maiden name.
This. Is. Hilarious. Just had several moments of ‘it’s not just me then’ from reding this. Showed it to my husband….. he gave me a knowing look. It was actually similar to the look of ‘oh you’ve bought something else neon/hot pink, it must have been at least a week since that last happened’. Thanks! :)
I have a light scar on my cheek from when I was a baby- i scratched myself with one of my fingernails. I’ve thought about getting it lazered, but i like it too much! My older brother knocked my tooth out with a kickball. It was Marsha Brady “ow my nose” status- except i caught the ball with my mouth. I’ve swallowed a tooth before and the tooth fairy still came. She left a note saying “she’ll take my word for it” and that there was no need to search for it! And I love the fact that you live in Pitt- I live in Erie- and it’s always inspiring to see what wonderful things come out of your kitchen!
Pingback: WEEKEND LINKS. - PINK LOVES PURPLE
This is beyond awesome! I’m happy to read some things that I can relate to…. Like forgetting to eat!?
I’ve been a reader for maybe about a year now, but this is my first time commenting. I just HAD to comment on your #36. I used to LOVE horror movies, they are the only type of movie that doesn’t put me to sleep. Until I saw Strangers, that movie pretty much ruined my movie-watching life AND my normal life! OMG!
Ok I can double or maybe triple your random statements in 2 notes or less. So just to “Name My Tune” here’s two of mine…
1. I always hated my mother cutting my sandwiches for my school lunch ..Diagonal…. bleck
2. Guess how I cut them now for my grandson… Diagonal …what ?
Need more to think about from an original 50’s “random” thinker send me a line.
Here’s a hint… my food phobia when I was young was my Mothers Tuna salad she made it with yellow mustard and onions. No Mayo gives me the shivers just thinking about it.
PS… You’re from Pitt the nice person with that swallowed her tooth is from Erie I live outside Seatac.. yep ( random location)
Ok, so I really struggled with Breaking Bad at first. For like the first two seasons! I found it to be way too violent and stressful and icky. But if you just push through and keep going it is seriously SO worth it. I never would’ve watched it on my own but my husband and I watch series together and I’m SO glad he insisted on it. Try again, sister. You will not regret it.
I know my current boyfriend is the one I’m never letting go, because he’s the first person I’ve ever loved more than books.
I like knowing how to make things from scratch; mostly so that if there’s some kind of apocalypse, I won’t go without.
I’m afraid of tampons, yet just got an IUD without batting an eye.
I just read and picked the numbers in which I am exactly the same :) Funny… The best are 6, 10, 22, 23 and definitely 26, 38 and 52. Totally me. And I could add lots of other weird things/things I hate about myself. Actually, this list is a very good idea – inspiration for trying to lower some fears, change a little here and little there and evolve a bit as a person. I think I’ll make one, too :)
I came here to write:
#52 is a healthy habit. Never get married to what you create. Always look back with a critical eye on what you create so you can constantly improve. Don’t be afraid of criticism of previous work — it’s a great tool for growth. Always compete with yourself to make a better work product.
Source: my career as a software developer.
I also prefer room temp beverages. I always order no ice at restaurants and it drives me crazy when it is still freezing cold.
My name is loveth anetor I live
THE GREAT dr alexzanderhightemple BROUGHT
MY HUSBAND BACK TO ME IN
JUST A ONE DAY.
i got married 4months ago. My
husband and I have been
living a very happy and lovely
life. So as time went on, I
began to notice this strange
attitude that he was
possessing. He was now going
out with other girls, to the
extent that he was no longer
picking up my calls, and he
was not even sleeping in my
house anymore. I became
confused and didn’t know what
to do anymore. So i
became worried and stranded,
that brought so many
thoughts into my mind, because I
have never experienced
a thing like this before in my life.
So I decided to visit a spell
caster, to see if he can help
me out. So immediately I went
to the internet, where I
saw an amazing testimony of a
spell caster who brought
someone’s ex lover back,so I
contacted him immediately
and I explained to him all my
problems and he told me
that it will be very easy for him
to solve, compare to the
ones he has done before. And he
also gave me some
proof to be really sure of her
work, and he assured me
that my husband will come back
to me immediately after
he is through with the spell
casting. And also he told me
to put all my trust in him and I
really obeyed him.
So it was 8:00 am on the next
morning, when I was about
going to work, when i received
my husband’s call, and he
told me that he was coming back
home, and he apologized
to me, and told me that he is
very sorry for the pain that
he has cost me. And after some
hours later, he really came
back home, and that was how we
continued our marriage
with lots of love and happiness,
and our love was now
stronger than how it were
And these great man also told
me that once my heart
desire has been granted unto me
that i should go and
testify of his work right here on
the internet. Right now I
am the happiest woman on earth
today as I am writing
this testimony, and I want to
dr alexzander for
bringing back my
husband, and for bringing joy and
love to my family.so you
all there having dificulties or the
other don,t worry every
thing will be fine
So my greatest advice for you
out there who your husband
or your wife is acting strange or
behaving the same way
like this, or you have any
problem with your relationship or
anything related to do with spell
casting, is for you to go
and visit this great man anytime,
and i assure you that
she will be of help to you, and I
am 100% sure that he
will solve it out.once again
contact him on these email
now..and your problem we be all over because I really trust him as the best spell caster in the email@example.com
It was great to stumble upon this post. Now we know all pros and cons of the form. I am sure at least once in your life you had to fill out a form. I use a simple service http://goo.gl/VlN9Ji for forms filling. It definitely makes my life easier!