Banana Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache.
I’m making dreams come true in bar form.
Not the tequila type of bar, but the sugared-up type of bar.
Maybe we can do both? We should.
Banana blondies baffled me a bit. You know how when you add banana to anything – it tends to turn out fluffy and cakelike? Sort of like adding pumpkin to your favorite baked good?
I was adamant on making banana blondies that weren’t cake bars.
Here’s how I did it: the egg yolks and the brown sugar keep the bars a bit chewier. I only used two bananas so the cake texture didn’t take over the dessert. The result was a very slight cakey blondie, if you will. These aren’t super chewy like traditional blondies, however, they aren’t as cakey as these banana bread snack squares. They are the perfect blend of chewy and cakey bar. I’d say they lean more towards chewy.
The ganache. Chocolate peanut butter, to be exact. In case the title didn’t convey it. It’s simply a mish mash of some of my favorite things. Favorite thing number one: bananas with peanut butter. That’s been a go-to snack of mine since I was a kid. Favorite thing number two: chocolate with peanut butter. If you don’t like chocolate and peanut butter together, I don’t even know where to begin.
Eddie doesn’t really *get* the heavenly combination and neither does my dad. Which makes exactly zero sense to me.
Give me a jar of peanut butter, a bar of high-quality chocolate and a spoon as my weapon. Destruction will occur.
The only thing as fabulous as those two combos is combining them together once more. Banana. Chocolate. Peanut butter.
And maybe bacon. I won’t even go there. (in public.)
Banana Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
chocolate peanut butter ganache
- 6 ounces milk, dark or semi-sweet (your choice) chocolate, chopped
- 1/3 cup peanut butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8-inch with nonstick spray, layer it with parchment paper and give it another spray.
- In a bowl, whisk together the brown sugar and egg yolks until smooth. Slowly stream in the butter while whisking until combined. Stir in the mashed bananas. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt, stirring until a thicker batter comes together. Pour the batter into the greased pan. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the bars seem set in the center and are golden in color. Remove and let cool slightly.
chocolate peanut butter ganache
- Add the chocolate and peanut butter to a large bowl. Heat the heavy cream in a saucepan over medium heat until it is hot but not boiling – just until bubbles form on the sides of the pan. Remove it from the heat and pour it over the chocolate and peanut butter. Allow it to sit for 1 to 2 minutes, then stir continuously until a ganache forms – this may take a full 5 minutes but keep stirring! Allow the ganache to cool for a few minutes before pouring it over the bars or serving it with a spoon.
pretty sure these should be your weekend plans.