Ohhh maaa gawwwsh.

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

What I’m sharing with you today is only the snack that I’ve fallen madly in love with… that I’ve made four times already… that I inhale the moment it comes out of oven, singed taste buds and all…that I can’t keep my grubby little paws off of.

You know… no big deal.

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

Except it’s a HUGE DEAL. Because it’s amazing. And so so so easy. And healthy! Fruit + whole wheat flour = pure unadulterated health.

I should be a doctor or something.

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

Even my mom – who worships at the altar of enriched breads and all-purpose flour – could not get over how good this tastes. Now that’s saying something.

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

Must I really tell you more?

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

Banana Bread Snack Cake

makes 9-12 squares

1 large egg

1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar

2 teaspoons vanilla extract

3 ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 1/2 cups)

1 cup whole wheat pastry flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking pan with non-stick spray

In a large bowl, whisk egg and brown sugar until smooth. Add in vanilla extract and mashed bananas, mixing until combined. Add in flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt, mixing until the batter comes together. Add in melted butter and mix until evenly distributed.

Pour batter in the baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes, or until center is no longer jiggly and edges are golden. Top with a cream cheese glaze, if desired.

Note: you can definitely sub in all-purpose flour, but I would not use regular whole wheat.

Banana Bread Snack Cake I howsweeteats.com

Oh wait, yes… I must. Cream cheese glaze. Get it!

182 Responses to “Banana Bread Snack Cake.”

Becki's Whole Life — January 15, 2012 @ 8:53 am

Love this…I ALWAYS have leftover bananas so I love to find recipes like this. Plus a snack cake is good because I can put it in the kids lunches. AND this is healthy, too! I will have to try that glaze…I probably wouldn’t use it for a normal weekday snack, but I bet it’s amazing if you want to snazz it up a bit!

Joan Mirantz — January 15, 2012 @ 12:51 pm

I make a similar recipe and it is a family favorite!
    I did want to share an icing idea I came up with that was a total hit!

I make a basic butter frosting but instead of vanilla and milk….I used rum extract and eggnog!!
    It was fabulous!!

Lindsay @ The Live-In Kitchen — January 15, 2012 @ 8:16 pm

I love the term ‘snack cake.’ Its such an excuse to eat cake whenever you want! This looks awesome, thanks for clarifying about the flours at the end, I was going to ask if I could use regular whole wheat flour but now I won’t!

Marie Baars — January 15, 2012 @ 9:42 pm

Shoot. I made this today but I forgot the butter and maybe should have measured my banana because it totally did not turn out at all. I think the major problem was too much banana because even though I baked it long enough it is still gummy in the middle. Oh well, I’ll try again. Also I used all purpose flour.

• Dana — May 7th, 2014 @ 1:14 am

I had the same thing happen today. Too much banana, not enough flour…whatever the problem, mine was moist and gooey, and not in a good way. I threw the whole thing away. :(

Katie @ ohshineon — January 15, 2012 @ 10:49 pm

So say I were to come over right now… would this be waiting for me on the kitchen table?

Karen — January 15, 2012 @ 11:09 pm

I just made this today and it looks just like the picture and tastes great! Thank you for another great recipe!

Courtney @Bake. Eat. Repeat. — January 16, 2012 @ 2:03 pm

So excited about this. Mainly because I can justify having it for breakfast, brunch, lunch dessert, snack, or dinner dessert.

Brooke O'Brien — January 16, 2012 @ 3:23 pm

Made this the other day and it was delicious! I skipped the cream cheese frosting and topped it with nutella instead. mmmmmmm so good!

Kathy — January 16, 2012 @ 5:27 pm

I soo want to make this, but can’t see buying yet another kind of flour….it’s coming out my ears!!

I don’t have whole wheat pastry flour, but I do have:
    *AP
    *Regular Whole Wheat
    *White bread flour

Which would work best, and what adjustments should I make??

• Adam — March 6th, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

I just whipped these up before work this morning, and they turned out great! Quick, simple, and scrumptious – even without the glaze!

@ Kathy – I also did not have the whole wheat pastry flour on hand, so I used half AP and half regular ww. I left it in the oven a couple minutes longer, but the end result was A-mazing!

• Kathy — March 6th, 2012 @ 6:01 pm

Thanks adam! I’ll give it a whirl!

Amy — January 16, 2012 @ 8:25 pm

I made this recipe this afternoon and my husband and three boys devoured it within 15 minutes of pulling it out of the oven. Delicious! :)

shannon — January 18, 2012 @ 3:23 am

I am so going to make this tomorrow

@ Kathy, she says you can use AP so I would use that.

Sarah @ The Cyclist's Wife — January 19, 2012 @ 3:08 pm

I made these the other night and they are good! We spread raw honey on them. Cures a sweet tooth and not totally bad for you. YUM! I think it might be tasty to substitute the butter with the coconut oil. What say you? :)

honeywhatscooking — January 21, 2012 @ 4:13 pm

hi… i tried this today and it was sticky in the middle. i added baking powder and it did rise, but the center was really gooey. perhaps there was too much banana, i did add 1 1/2 cups of banana. i guess i’ll have to try again.

Nat - The Precious Things — January 22, 2012 @ 7:11 am

Tried these on Friday and they are so good! Thank you for this new addiction haha. I try to ignore the butter and sugar and keep telling myself that they are a healthy snack.

Katie — January 23, 2012 @ 10:26 pm

Jessica… I just made this little snack cake and ate half of it in one sitting! Yikes + Yum = Going to the gym asap! XoXo

sara — January 27, 2012 @ 12:48 pm

Yum, this looks so tasty! I love banana bread, and love the idea of using it in a cake…looks delicious! :)

Cake guru — February 1, 2012 @ 3:57 am

Just wondering if anybody tried using whole wheat flour? I also don’t have pastry flour on hand.

Meghan — February 10, 2012 @ 3:00 pm

You’re my go-to girl for dessert recipes…which is why I’m here. :) I’m looking for something that I can cut into heart-shapes (for V-Day, obvi) and then later eat with chocolate fondue. Mmm. Do you think these will work well? Or perhaps your oatmeal PB snack squares? Or do you have another suggestion?

Kim — February 21, 2012 @ 3:42 am

I made this yummy cake today with a few additions/changes and my family gave ita big thumbs up! I did not have an egg, so I used 1/2c. buttermilk (skim milk and a little white vinegar) and reduced the banana by tad. I added 1/4c. mini chocolate chips and a 1/4tsp. Of instant espresso powder to the warm butter. I served it by slicing it into two thin layers, adding sliced bananas and whiped cream to the first layer and topping the last with more whipped cream and toasted walnuts (or rainbow sprinkles if you are 6 or 3 years old). Now that I type this it sounds like a lot of work, but it was a breeze to throw together. The cake took a bit longer to cook and was more dense than expected, but I’m guessing it was the lack of an egg and the extra liquid. I like being able to dress up or dress down this recipe. Thanks for sharing.

Deanna — February 23, 2012 @ 2:56 pm

thanks for the recipe!! used for a meeting I had and everyone loved it!!!!!!!!!!!!

alicia — March 7, 2012 @ 7:14 pm

HOLY MOLY!!! This is so great!! Musta made it a dozen times since you posted it and going to make it again right now. Wholesome with a touch of naughty sweet. Thank you!

Melissa — March 14, 2012 @ 6:15 pm

This is in my oven now! Can’t wait to taste it! If I remember, I’ll post a pic! Thanks for all of the yummy recipes!

Melissa — March 14, 2012 @ 6:17 pm

This is in my oven right now! Can’t wait to taste it. If I remember, I’ll post a pic! Thank you for all the yummy recipes!

Ty — April 3, 2012 @ 5:11 pm

Why do you not suggest using plain whole wheat flour?!

• Jessica — April 3rd, 2012 @ 7:15 pm

Too dry and gritty – you will not get the same moist, fluffy result.

mary beth — July 12, 2012 @ 11:14 am

Just want you to know that I make this All. The. Time. I sort of consider myself a banana bread junkie, and this recipe is the one I keep going back to time and time again. No more searching. I have found THE perfect healthy banana bread…thanks to you. Oh, and dark chocolate on top is pretty amazing too. Don’t know if it tops the cream cheese, but it’s good in a pinch.

betsy — August 11, 2012 @ 8:27 am

Can you use oil instead of the butter?

D — August 30, 2012 @ 8:57 am

Thanks for this great recipe!

I followed a poster’s advice and used half whole wheat flour and half white flour. I also used applesauce instead of butter and splenda in place of brown sugar. It came out moist and delicious!

Thanks again!

Jessica — April 5, 2013 @ 6:30 am

I made this snack cake yesterday afternoon and – yep, this is going to be my go-to recipe for banana-cakey things from now on. It’s excellent, thank you! I was super cheeky, though, and topped it with the coconut cinnamon streusel from your whole wheat banana bread. It was something of a struggle to not just eat the whole cake by myself in one sitting…

PaulaM — July 23, 2013 @ 9:35 pm

One word… Amazing! It was quick and easy and my family LOVED it!! This recipe is a definite keeper!! Thank you for sharing this recipe!

Mel — November 12, 2013 @ 9:13 pm

Yum! Followed the recipe exactly and it turned out great!! It does have a rather strong whole wheat taste, but I like that it’s not too sweet, so it really is more of a snack and less of a dessert. Next time will try the cream cheese glaze on top!

1. Pingback: Sundays are for... |

2. Pingback: B-A-N-A-N-A-S « smalltownhealthyliving

3. Pingback: Loser | Time Capsuled

4. Pingback: Sweet Potato Snack Cake with a Biscoff Cookie Crust | Mis-Cakes Oven Adventures

5. Pingback: I can’t walk. « Fire Breathing Kayla

6. Pingback: Weekend Link Love – 1.22.2012 | Say Yes to Salad

7. Pingback: Banana Snack Cake « One girl. One kitchen.

8. Pingback: Rainy Sunday | summerplayshouse

9. Pingback: Banana Bread Snack Cake « My Healthy 'Ohana

10. Pingback: Banana “snack” Cake | Better with Cake

11. Pingback: Red Velvet Donuts with Whipped Vanilla Cream Cheese Frosting | Better with Cake

12. Pingback: Nutella Swirled Banana Bread Snack Cake | The Spiffy Cookie

13. Pingback: Chocolate Banana Bread Cake » Pardon the Dog Hair

14. Pingback: Banana Cinnamon Chip Muffins & Cinnamon Toast French ToastWill Run for Pasta

15. Pingback: Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Coconut Cinnamon Streusel. | How Sweet It Is

16. Pingback: Cheer Ktchen - Banana Bread Snack Cake

17. Pingback: Whole Wheat Chocolate Fudge Zucchini Snack Cake | How Sweet It Is

18. Pingback: Whole Wheat Banana Cake – Take 1 | Through the Measuring Cup

19. Pingback: Banana Blondies with Chocolate Peanut Butter Ganache | How Sweet It Is

20. Pingback: Banana Bread Snack Cake - The Best Blog Recipes