Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter.
I’m wondering how many little scone nuggets I can convince you to eat right now.
They look like biscuits! I know I know.
But they aren’t. I just cut my scones into rounds because I can’t photograph triangular shaped things to save my life.
How was your weekend? Where did you go? What did you do? Who did you see? Guess what we did? Sort of spring cleaned. Which means that we mopped one floor, felt like we conquered the world, then ordered pizza and watched TV for three hours. SO ACCOMPLISHED.
We, and by “we” I really just mean me, also found some leftover ghiraradelii milk chocolate chips hiding in a cupboard (that word makes me feel 86 years old) corner and ate a few (too many) handfuls at what might have been 11:30PM. And then I was up all night. Like from caffeine maybe? It made me crazy. I was tossing and turning and googling old episodes of Entourage on my phone and then that lead me into the Wikipedia vortex spiral and then before I knew it, it was 3AM and I had a whole new education under my belt and a full page of notes in my phone about things I need to do. Like learning how to not sleep with my phone, note number one.
It will never happen.
Because if it did, I wouldn’t remember that I thought of cherry tomato butter in my dreams.
Every time I talk about scones I have to do my obligatory “did you know I used to hate scones?!” speech. Because I did. And no longer do.
At least when it comes to GOOD scones. Thank GOODness. !!
The butter is kind of a copout because it’s similar to what I shared last Monday… but I’m just really into weird compound butters at the moment. Here we have some sun- dried cherry tomatoes smashed into softened unsalted butter. UGH. So delicious. I want to spread it on all things forever and ever.
Then it’s like, hot cheesy scones – topped with cherry tomato butter that melts into every little crevice. All butter, all the time. Need I tell you more?
Provolone Scones with Cherry Tomato Butter
cherry tomato butter
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons sun dried cherry tomatoes, chopped
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In large bowl combine the flour, sugar, salt, pepper, baking soda and powder. Using your fingers, a fork or a pastry blender, cut in butter until it forms coarse crumbs. Stir in the provolone. Stir in the buttermilk and mix with a spoon until a dough forms, using your hands to bring it together. Turn it on to a lightly floured surface and knead gently three or four times.
- Divide the dough in half and pat into 7 inch round circles, cutting into 6-8 triangles each. You can also cut out round scones or form the dough into a rectangle and cut squares. Brush each scone with melted butter.
- Bake for 12-14 minutes (wedges) or 9-11 minutes (rounds/squares). Serve the the cherry tomato butter.
cherry tomato butter
- In a bowl, mix together the butter and tomatoes until combined. You can place it in the fridge (even form it into a ball or log) or keep it at room temperature until ready to use.
Because the flavor. Whoa.