Coconut Cream Pie Chia Seed Pudding.
If you were to pie me in the face, it would technically be breakfast.
At least for today.
Here’s my thing about breakfast.
I really like breakfast, but I wouldn’t venture to say that it’s my favorite meal of the day. Well, wait. Okay, every meal is my favorite of the day. But my FAVORITE favorite is probably dinner.
Least favorite is lunch, probably because I hate that I have to make time for it. It’s kind of just in the way and I grab leftovers or whatever is easier. Unless I’m going OUT for lunch, in which case, hello lunch. You are my fave. Wink wink.
Breakfast comes in at a close second. But.
Dinner wins. Every time. Especially when it’s breakfast FOR dinner.
I’ve been killing it in the breakfast arena lately, most notably with variety. My mornings have been ramped up with a selection of avocado toast, plus or minus the egg, random smoothie concoctions, breakfast quinoa, breakfast sandwiches, yogurt bowls and TONS of chia seed pudding.
I first shared a vanilla bean, pistachio, mango, mint and chocolate version in January. OMGAH. What a mouthful.
I cannot even express how much I love this stuff.
This version is a little thicker because I added a bunch of thick and creamy coconut greek yogurt. Like so wonderfully thick it’s reminiscent of cheesecake. Eh. Sorta. You know.
But lots of coconut yogurt, coconut milk, chia seeds, honey, some vanilla bean paste, some shredded coconut – only to be topped off with whipped coconut cream, toasted flaked coconut and… AND… graham cracker crumbs.
Ooooh la la.
Many of you keep asking if it has the texture of tapioca, to which I will respond with “probably.” You’re either going to love or hate the texture and I’m totally nutty over it. Leave it to me to be the weird person who loves chia seed texture but isn’t a fan of crunchy vegetable (I’m looking at you carrots, celery, all other things) texture. Whyyyyyy.
Whatever though. These little pots of heaven are blowing up my kitchen these days. I adore them as breakfast, yes, but they are even better as a snack.
Can’t even stand it.
Coconut Cream Pie Chia Seed Pudding
coconut whipped cream
- 1 can full-fat coconut milk, cold (preferably refrigerated overnight or at least 8 hours)
- 1 tablespoon powdered sugar
- 1 drop of coconut extract
- In a large bowl, whisk together the yogurt, milk, chia seeds, honey, coconut, vanilla bean paste, coconut extract and salt until combined. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and place it in the fridge to chill and thicken, for about 2 hours or even overnight. I usually go back and stir the mixture a few times while it sits to stir out any lumps. You also might want to take a little taste to see if you’d like it to be sweeter.
- When you’re ready to eat the pudding, spoon it into 2 (or even 4) glasses or jars of your choice. Cover the top with the coconut whipped cream, a good handful of the toasted coconut and a sprinkle of graham cracker crumbs. Serve immediately!
coconut whipped cream
- Open the can and discard the liquid, then scoop the firm coconut meat into the bowl of your electric mixer. Just the thick white cream – no liquid! Beat on medium-high speed until completely whipped and thick. Add the sugar and extract, whipped once more. If you make this before serving, you can store it in the fridge for an hour or so.
grab a spoon.