Savory Romano Crusted French Toast with Cherry Tomato Basil Butter.
I want to go where rivers of butter flow.
Like right smack dab in the middle of this French toast!
I mean… the butter. Please look at it.
Things are old and things are new right now. Old thing? Eddie is deep in a Cruel Intentions marathon (I think it’s one of his favorite movies of all time) and all I can think of while it’s on is OMG PACEY.
New thing? I continue to be gravitating towards savory foods over sweets. I first talked about this probably six months ago or so but it’s still a thing: either I’m old and boring and more responsible these days or my taste buds are changing.
I’m going with the latter even though I’m definitely old and boring.
After discovering savory French toast on the kitchn, I was ridiculously hooked. I needed something other than just toast and cheese though… so enter a savory compound butter. I know I know. I’ve been all about them recently. And it’s not even prime fresh herb season yet so I predict that things will get even worse. Just a warning.
The batter for this French toast is chock full of freshly grated romano cheese and then fried in butter like the regular stuff. Covered with some extra softened cherry tomato basil butter – I used these delicious sun dried cherry tomatoes again along with fresh basil – that melts into the hot toast creating a little flavor river. It’s flowing!
I don’t even know what to do with myself. Can’t deal.
This is the final recipe from my spring brunch video with DeLallo and quote possibly my favorite. It’s just… different than what I’m used to. Obviously, I still love sweet versions of French toast but as long as you serve something else sweet at the table for usual sweet teethed freaks like me, you’re good to go. I need a little of both at every meal. I recently made some caramel pork and ummm we need to discuss. Soon.
As the year goes on, I’m going to be doing a bunch more of these videos with DeLallo and making all sorts of delicious recipes and stuff. In the meantime, please live on this fraaaanch toast with me so you can discover the beauty of it. Emotions never tasted so good.
- 4 large eggs
- 1/2 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup finely grated romano cheese, plus more for topping
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 loaf italian bread, cut into 8 thick slices
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- a few basil leaves for garnish
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup sundried cherry tomatoes chopped
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic salt
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, half + half, cheese, salt and pepper. Whisk well until combined. Heat a large skillet over medium head and add 1 1/2 tablespoons butter. Dip each bread slice in the egg mixture and flip to coat. Add the french toast to the skillet and fry on both sides until golden. Repeat with the remaining bread and butter. Serve immediately with the tomato basil butter for topping, a sprinkling of romano and a few basil leaves.
- Mix all ingredients together until combined. You can serve softened or place in the fridge to firm up.
Don’t you want to cannonball into that?!