Summer Sangria Berry Crumble.
I’m eternally the girl who will eat all the crispy crumble off your dessert.
You know it.
With no shame either. If you have a plate in front of you I’ll probably just start spooning the crumble off of it if you aren’t fast enough. How rude.
A crumble like this can’t even sit on our counter or in our fridge for more than twenty minutes before I’m losing my mind over it and eating the topping. It needs to be triple wrapped so I don’t have the patience to unwrap it and get to the good stuff. It’s practically like banana bread. You bake it. It sits on your counter. And two hours later – POOF. It’s gone. Where did it go? No on knows.
But, if you eat it in small chunks and crumbs the calories don’t count. Truth.
I mean, who even cares about the fruit when there is a perfect topping like this?!
Well. Now I care about the fruit.
Because it’s soaked in WINE. It’s all sangria-y and plump and full of boozy love.
Remember last week when I instagrammed a boozy shot of fruit in a dish? This was that. Fruit in wine and liqueur, one gigantic dish of sangria flavored berries topped with crunchy goodness. The only thing better than drinking sangria is eating a plate along with your topped off goblet.
Hey want to hear something awesome?
What I didn’t instagram after that shot was how I was setting up to take this photo with THREE full glasses of sangria and a large VERY HEAVY square tile propped against the wall. What I also didn’t instagram was how when I went to grab my camera, the large VERY HEAVY square tile propped against the wall slammed face-first in my gorgeous FULL sangria glasses, shattering them into a perfect plate of crumble and leaving slivers of glass all over the floor for us to step in for the rest of eternity since they are impossible to find. And lots of red wine pouring down our white walls and even whiter baseboards. And in the crevices of tables and cracks of hardwood and basically all the places that are a nightmare to clean.
You be assured I had my fill of sangria crumble after that. It cures all things! Plus, it’s just so pretty.
Summer Sangria Berry Crumble
- 12 ounces blueberries
- 12 ounces red raspberries
- 12 ounces strawberries, halved or quartered
- 1 lime, freshly zested and juiced
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons red wine, whatever your favorite is, I used pinot noir
- 3 tablespoons grand marnier
- 1 1/3 cup oats
- 1 1/3 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- vanilla ice cream for serving
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Add the strawberries, blueberries and raspberries to a baking dish (mine was about 8×11, but 9×13 is fine too). Add the lime zest and juice and gently toss with your hands. Stir together the sugar, flour and salt. Sprinkle it over the fruit and gently toss again. Allow it to sit for 10 minutes. Drizzle the wine and grand marnier over top.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, sugar, flour, cinnamon and salt. Add in the butter and use your hands to evenly distrubute it thorughout the oat mixture. I take at least 5 full minutes and mix with my hands, making sure all of the crumble is moistened and, well… crumbly. You want all of the flour mixed in and everything combined. Add in the vanilla extract and combine again with your hands. Sprinkle it evenly over top of the fruit. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the crumble on top is golden and crunchy.
- Serve immediately with ice cream! (and sangria, duh.)
plus plus, it’s like red white and blue. memorial day eats!