Coconut Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread.
I’m giving you an excuse to eat cake for dinner.
I mean, yes, this is a bread, but we all know that quick breads are really just cakes disguised as breads and are really just dessert disguised as snacks or breakfast. I love how this world works.
I also must really love you because I put vegetables in your cake disguised as bread disguised as dinner.
Two evenings ago I ate a perfectly ripe tomato covered in salt, pepper, olive oil, balsamic and a generous grating of asiago cheese. It was so freaking good that it was the first thing in an entire WEEK that made me forget about this bread. A quintessential summer dinner (or okay, hello, an appetizer) wiped this loaf from my mind which was near impossible after five days of thinking about nothing else.
I made four loaves. FOUR.
I have issues.
Wait. For a minute let’s talk about things we were doing one year ago. I was making this crispy zucchini grilled cheese, which makes me feel better about life since I shared zucchini mid-June last year and still haven’t really learned anything. Also, sidebar, that sandwich makes me want to die. Like just shut the heck up and feed me nothing but that for the rest of my life.
I was also making this summer crostini, which yeah, I never ever stop talking about but with good reason. Make it for lunch and put it on regular toast. You won’t be sorry.
Remember a few months ago when I told you about this bread I had at brunch? Yessss. So good. I’ve been waiting and waiting and waiting to make it, mostly so you could all use your garden zucchinis for said bread. But I couldn’t take it anymore! I don’t have a garden anyway (at least not yet… one may be coming…) so I bought my zucchini and made the dang bread. I figure it will give you something to look forward to later this summer. In the meantime, go buy a zucc and practice!
The bread was accidentally vegan – I didn’t intend it, but I’d already melted the coconut oil before realizing I was out of eggs. So I continued on my merry way with coconut milk and other delicious things and I’m so glad I did. It took three tries to get it right, but this is the version I love the most. And when I say “love the most,” I mean “devoured it in one night.”
As it should be.
Vegan Coconut Zucchini Chocolate Chip Bread
- 1 2/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 cup loosely packed brown sugar
- 2/3 cup unsweetened, flaked coconut
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut extract
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1 3/4 cup freshly grated zucchini
- 2/3 cup milk or dark chocolate chips, tossed in a little flour so they don’t fall to the bottom
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease a 9×5 loaf pan with coconut oil and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, powder, cinnamon and salt. In a small bowl, stir together the coconut milk, vanilla and coconut extracts. Add the coconut milk to the dry ingredients and stir, then begin to stir in the melted coconut oil. Once combined and wet, stir in the zucchini and chocolate chips. Pour the batter into the greased loaf pan.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes, or until the center is set and no longer jiggly. If at any point the top of the bread begins to brown too much, tent it with aluminum foil. Allow the bread to cool completely before serving. It may sink slightly in the center once cool, even if is cooked the entire way through.
all the butter.