Crispy Kale Grilled Cheese with Fried Eggs.
I made you a vegetable today!! With cheese and eggs. And bread. (and butter.)
It was in between watching Down to You (ummm please tell me you remember this, the best movie of my high school life) and eating a pan of brownies one sliced off sliver at a time (no calories that way, don’t you know?) that I determined we have turned the corner into grilled cheese season and there is no turning back.
Not that grilled cheese needs a season because I ate about a million in the summer with tons of ketchup and pickles (does this gross you out?) when it was 80 degrees out, but whatever.
It’s fall, it’s chilly, it’s grilled cheese season. I demand it.
PLUS! How’s this for meatless Monday? YEEEAAASSSS.
Now THIS is how I do meatless. Actually, I do meatless a lot – even meatless topped with bacon if we can call that a thing. I’m still not super sold on meats at the moment unless they are the most perfect cuts of pulled pork, short ribs or the bacon… of course. But give me cheese and eggs every freaking day of the week.
And bread! I’m still super into bread. Mostly toasted. Give me all the toast.
I settled on this idea of throwing crispy kale in a grilled cheese after my green grilled cheese in Seriously Delish. Green grilled cheese automatically = health food, in case you’re wondering.
And now, with kale? It’s a superfood! A darn cheese sandwich is super. We should just call it superfood grilled cheese.
Not only is the kale roasted until crispy and tossed with a little heat, there is a smoky dijon mayo spread on the sandwich and the meltiest of harvarti cheeses. Cheesesususus. So rich and decadent.
The combo is just to die for.
OH and by no means can I forget the egg, which I thought of last minute but was sold on immediately because the sandwich NEEDED it. Like I needed it. We both did. I figured it could be a weird not-at-all version of this croque madame but it’s sort of what it reminded me of.
Either way… I mean, EGGS.
Crispy Kale Grilled Cheese with Fried Eggs
- 1 small head of curly green kale, torn from stems
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 4 slices of bread
- 6 ounces of harvarti cheese, freshly grated (this works best if havarti is cold)
- softened butter for spreading
- 3 large eggs
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Place the kale on a baking sheet and spritz it with olive or coconut oil, then sprinkle it with salt, pepper and crushed pepper flakes. Roast for 10 minutes, then lightly toss and roast for 10 minutes more just until crispy.
- Stir together the mayo, mustard and smoked paprika. To make the grilled cheese, spread the outsides of the bread slices with softened butter. Spread the insides with the mayo mixture. Top each slice with grated cheese. Heat a skillet or griddle over medium heat and place the bread slices butter-side down on the skillet – cooking all 4 in an open faced manner. This is in order to keep the kale crispy. You can cover the skillet if it helps the cheese melt.
- While the grilled cheeses are toasting, heat another skillet over medium heat and fry the eggs.
- To assemble the grilled cheese, top 2 slices of toasted cheesy bread with the crispy kale. Use the other slices to top the grilled cheese, with the cheese side placed on the kale. To serve, throw the egg on top and eat!