Chocolate Covered Clementine Smoothie (With Coconut Milk Chocolate Ganache!)
We so need to talk about this.
This smoothie is currently saving my life.
Earlier this week I got hit with my first sinus infection in almost two years and was petrified – like, um, how can I take care of a baby when I feel like garbage and can’t really take anything to feel better?!? I got desperate and starting juicing and blending all the things. Apple cider vinegar is always my go-to, so with a daily concoction of that, I began tossing clementines into the blender with extra blood oranges.
UM, it tasted like a freaking orange julius! You gotta do this.
Please tell me you’ve had an old school orange julius?! They were a staple when I was growing up – every Friday my mom, aunt, cousin and mother lovett would go shopping while my grandpa would watch our brothers until our dads got home. Then we’d all end up eating pizza or something, but not before multiple stops during the day at either orange julius or baskin robbins for a pralines and cream cone or… both. Both. That’s how it should be!
After I made the first clementine smoothie, I determined that I needed to make another but cover it in chocolate. Like those chocolate covered oranges you can find around the holidays?? They are sort of hit or miss for me, but sometimes I just LOVE the combo. And I made it mostly based on one of my favorite old-school snacks – these chocolate covered clementines.
The chocolate is a coconut milk ganache – and if you use a high-quality pure dark chocolate, then your entire smoothie is vegan! Whoa.
I want to swan dive into this bowl of chocolate below. It’s INSANE.
The recipe will make more than you need, so I suggest storing it in the fridge and eating a spoonful after lunch. You can always cut the recipe for the chocolate in half but… that’s no fun.
So for real: we have a super fabulous crazy vitamin C packed slush to ward off all the germs that the polar vortex is blowing in. It’s more of a blended juice since the clems are so water-packed, but that just means you can suck it down more quickly. Add the chocolate for a treat – or for antioxidants. And I’ve also been throwing in a teaspoon of spirulina, but it will turn it a lovely shade of swamp and I knew I couldn’t convince you that way.
But this way… YES.
Chocolate Covered Clementine Smoothie
- 1 (14-ounce) can full fat coconut milk
- 4 ounces high-quality dark chocolate, finely chopped
- 6 clementines, peeled
- 1 blood orange, peeled
- 1 banana, frozen
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 5 to 6 ice cubes
- Stir or shake the can of coconut milk well so the water and cream are combined. Place the chopped chocolate in a bowl. Remove 4 tablespoons of the coconut milk from the can and set the can aside. Heat the 4 tablespoons of coconut milk until hot – I find it easiest to put it in a small bowl and microwave it since it’s a smaller amount, but you can also heat it on the stovetop. Once hot, pour it over the chocolate. Let it sit for a minute, then stir constantly until the chocolate melts completely. Let sit for 5 to 10 minutes so it thickens a bit. This makes a good amount of ganache and you can store it in the fridge, so if you don’t want extra, cut the amount of ingredients in half.
- Once the ganache has sat, spoon it inside the top half (or bottom… or both) of two glasses.
- In a blender, combine the remaining coconut milk, clementines, orange, banana, vanilla extract and ice in a blender and puree until completely smooth. Pour into the chocolate covered glasses and DRINK!
P.S. you should probably also try the coconut version of these.