Crispy Egg Tostadas with Lemon Greens and Toasted Sesame Oil.
Reasons for why this is the best meal ever? Ready set go.
Crunchy tortillas. Obviously. They get all crispy and melt in your mouth.
Avocado slices. Make it feel like summer and all that jazz when it’s 10 degrees out one day then 43 the next and you haven’t been outside in 345 years.
Greens. Because health and weekends and bourbon.
Heat and toasted sesame oil! They just make things interesting.
And the obvious: time. It takes mere minutes but is loaded with piles of flavor which is completely awesome when you don’t ever sleep and watch 53 episodes of Parenthood in less than one week (NOT JOKING) and put on glitter eye shadow to go nowhere and survive on peanut butter chocolate chip spoons then realize you need a real life meal.
YEP. THIS IS IT.
I don’t think it’s any secret that I am totally in the midst of a serious crispy egg love affair.
This egg is INSANE.
Can I even eat eggs any other way… any time soon? Probably not. I completely adore how crispy the bottom gets but how soft the yolk remains. It’s waaaay too good.
Not the prettiest, but by far the most fab. Can eggs be fab? Eggs are fab now.
For the first few weeks, I ate the crispy egg on buttered toast and only buttered toast. I moved from six grain to sourdough (um, the best) and even used a pita in a moment of desperation.
Note to self and everyone: the crispy egg needs no carbs. It’s perfection on it’s own.
BUT BUT. In the case that you want to take it over the top, you must do this. Crispy tortilla + crispy egg = love. Add some lightly dressed greens and some sliced avocado and some chili flakes and some scallions.
Then. Add a little drizzle of toasted sesame oil. GAH. So flipping good. The flavor is just out.of.control.
I realize there is a lot of crisping going on here, but you can SO throw this together for a quick meal. It’s like a super simple easy dish dressing up all fancy. Putting on glitter and fake eyelashes and such. That’s totally a thing right now. You should try it.
Fried Egg Crispy Tortillas with Lemon Greens and Toasted Sesame Oil
- 4 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 (4-inch) flour tortillas
- 4 cups leafy spring greens
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 4 large eggs
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- a few pinches of crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- salt and pepper for seasoning
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add 1 tablespoon of olive oil and once hot, add a flour tortilla. Cook until bubbly and crisp, about 1 to 2 minutes per side. Repeat with remaining tortillas (add a teaspoon or so more olive oil when necessary) – placing each fried one on a paper towel to absorb any extra grease.
- Toss the greens with 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil and the juice of the lemon. You don’t want them to be too *wet.* Sprinkle with a bit of salt and pepper and toss again. Place each tortilla on a plate and top with a handful of greens. Add a few avocado slices on top.
- Keep the skillet heated (or reheat it) over medium-high heat and add 1 to 2 tablespoons olive oil. Crack the eggs directly into the oil, keeping room between them. I usually do 2 eggs at once, no more. Sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Cook until the bottoms begin to brown and get crispy, and the yolk is as solid as you desire. It takes about 1 to 2 minutes for a still-runny yolk if your heat is medium-high. Remove the eggs and throw them right on top of the avocados. Sprinkle with the green onions, pepper flakes and a drizzle of toasted sesame oil. Serve immediately.
If you need me I’ll be doing yolk cannonballs.