No Churn Blackberry Chip Ice Cream.
I’m thinking it’s time to moonlight as an ice cream scooper.
Unless scooping ice cream from your own freezer in your own kitchen into your own bowl at midnight is moonlighting enough?
So get this. Back in high school, for precisely one summer, I worked at Bruster’s. Allllll that ice cream. I had two obsessions: banana pudding ice cream (which I totally just recreated and am DYING to tell you about. soon soon.) and chocolate raspberry truffle. The latter is so totally weird because I have never been a strong raspberry (or blackberry) fan. It’s the seeds but also the flavor – I’m much more of a strawberry or blueberry gal. Clearly.
Anyhoo, when you work around ice cream that much it’s not like you’re dying to eat it. Right? We would take a spoonful here or there, usually of a new flavor or something and that would be it. My favorite part was making the waffle cones which smelled like heaven but also 100 percent burnt the heck out of your fingertips. But the thing is, I’d definitely smell like waffle cones all night long after coming home. All of my clothing smelled like an ice cream shop. It was a permanent perfume, at least until laundry day.
And, um, I wouldn’t mind smelling of an ice cream shop right about now. Can we make that a thing?
The wackiest thing is that we were preeeeetty sure every afternoon around the same time, a couple would meet in the parking lot because they were having a lunch break affair. Or maybe we were just reading too many summer novels? I don’t know. We’ll never know.
The Bruster’s is gone now, and all I want to eat is blackberry ice cream. Things change.
Ohhh wait a minute.
Do you want to know the REAL reason that I made this ice cream? Besides a current blackberry infatuation? Besides the fact that I couldn’t stop thinking of this post for the last week?!
Look at that color?! Who doesn’t want to eat (naturally neoned) bright purple ice cream?
Yes, yes. You can dive right in. I allow it.
Okay but besides those things. GUYS. This ice cream is no churn. NO CHURN. You absolutely do not need an ice cream maker to make this ice cream. And that is probably one of the biggest questions I get – how can I make ice cream (like, good ice cream) without an ice cream maker? Um. Now you can.
And. It gets better. It tastes so freaking good. It is ridiculously creamy. So much creamier than I thought. I hold my creamy ice cream to very high standards – in face, homemade Jeni standards– and this is extremely close to that. It’s fabulous. It’s SO easy. You can make it in a matter of a few minutes and freeze it overnight and you’re done. It makes me ridiculously happy and I don’t know how I can ever break out my ice cream maker again. INSANITY.
Summer = made.
No Churn Blackberry Chip Ice Cream
- 2 pints blackberries
- 1 tablespoon bourbon, rum, water – any sort of liquid
- 1 (14-ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 1/4 cups cold heavy cream
- 4 ounces dark chocolate, 70% or more, chopped
- Place the blackberries in a food processor and blend until pureed. Add in the liquid – bourbon, water, etc – anything to make the berries a bit more liquified – and blend once more. Spoon the mixture into a fine mesh sieve and press through with the back of a spoon to remove the seeds. If you like the seeds – keep them!
- In a bowl, whisk together the sweetened condensed milk, vanilla extract and blackberry puree until combined.
- Place the cold cream in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium high speed until stiff peaks form. Fold the whipped cream into the blackberry mixture – constantly folding over and over until everything is combined. This will take a few minutes! Once everything is combined, fold in the chopped chocolate.
- Pour the mixture into a parchment-lined loaf pan or a freezer container. Freeze at least 6 hours (or overnight) for best results. Serve with a few fresh mint leaves.
Also, big fat chocolate chunks. Because Friday.