Summer Skillet Gnocchi.
I’m giving you… a summer hug in a bowl.
You need it right?
I totally need it.
WE need it!
Hug it out.
Sometimes you just need a hug in the summer but it’s about 200 degrees outside and it must come in bowl form. True life: it’s too hot for anyone to touch me.
So seriously. Are you sick of corn yet? Do I ask you this every single year at this time?
I hope not because I just made another fantastic recipe with it yesterday! After that I will be done. I think.
I hope. (not.) I hope not.
Eating seasonally is just the best. Grilled corn goes with EVERYTHING. I have yet to figure out what it doesn’t go with.
Because I already made ice cream with it so yeah, there’s that.
Let’s talk about all of the delicious things in this skillet:
shittakes! (which my mom has absolutely called shit takes.)
tons of grilled corn (really is anyone shocked)
a bit of cream (or a lot)
these adorable mini gnocchi
lots o’ parm.
summer hugs and feelings all around.
Ugh. So many delicious things in the form of summer comfort food. And it doesn’t take forever to make either – and it doesn’t heat up the entire house. Plus plus. That’s a huge plus.
I have made a couple versions of this skillet since early spring and it never fails – you will find my standing over the stove eating the gnocchi forkful by forkful because it’s insanely delicious and bite sized. Bite sized is the best part!
It’s one dish that barely makes it to Eddie’s plate because I want to devour it myself.
Oh and you can easily switch up your favorite ingredients depending on the season or toss in some cherry tomatoes, chicken, spinach or poblanos to add a bit of heat. I just loooove that it’s a bit creamy while the texture is still light. It’s kind of all my favorite things incorporated into one dinner and I am all about using up every thing in this darn garden. A garden hug!
That’s what it is.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/2 sweet onion, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup shittake mushrooms
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 to 3/4 cup half and half
- 1/2 cup freshly grated parmagiano-reggiano cheese, plus more for topping
- 3 ears of grilled corn cut from the cob
- 1 pound mini gnocchi cooked
- fresh basil and oregano for garnish
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the olive oil and butter. Once the butter has melted, add the onion and stir. Cook until softened, about 6 o 8 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for another minute. Stir in the mushrooms. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, stirring often, until they soften. Season the mixture with the salt and the pepper.
- [At this time I usually cook the gnocchi according to package directions!]
- Increase the heat to medium. Slowly stream in the half and half, stirring the entire time, scraping any flavor bits from the bottom. I start with about 1/2 cup but add a little more as I go if needed. Stir in the parmesan cheese. Taste and season additionally if desired. Toss in the grilled corn and gnocchi, stirring to coat. Add a bit more cheese on top, along with the basil and oregano.
squeeeze. <that’s your hug.