Super Easy DIY Garden Herb Salt.
Before getting down on Friday, let’s do this.
Not gonna lie.
I’m kind of excited that I have a weekend project that includes more than attempting a morning run only later to be followed by making a permanent dent in the couch cushions after a Target stop and/or before eating nachos and margaritas.
DIY salt! Well, sort of half-assed DIY salt because we aren’t making the salt itself. We are just crushing some herbs and mixing them with salt and feeling all fancy and domestic and like maybe making a homemade piñata isn’t the most terrifying idea in the world.
You feel me?
I have some quadruple vanilla (for real) donuts that I was planning on sharing today, but then I made this herb salt and decided you needed to know about herb salt ASAP in case your garden was also overflowing. Even Eddie was like “you have to talk about the herb salt.” OKAY THEN.
But seriously, I could probably build a hut with the amount of rosemary and basil I have at the moment. Totally out of control.
So. Secret time.
I took the lazy girl’s way out and dried these herbs in… the MICROWAVE. Eeeeeeep.
I know. Weird? Easy? Perfect for busy or absent minded folk? I think so. I followed the steps almost exactly from serious eats and it could not have been simpler. It’s not required, obviously, as you can easily take a few days (weeks?) and dry out the herbs yourself.
But if you’re wildly impatient and forgetful and lacking on all sorts of that thing called sleep, there is another option and that option is the box in your kitchen. Please don’t unfriend me.
Ohhh and I also tossed in a spoonful of garlic powder because garlic wins always. Not a necessity. (But totally a necessity.)
I mixed all my herbs together (even mint) because I love that. BUT! I am reeeeally excited to do single herb salts, like a basil salt, a rosemary salt and a lavender salt. It feels a little gifty, but if I waited until December to do this, I would have to buy herbs instead of just use my own. So that’s a win.
Now can you say… buttered popcorn?! That’s where this sprinkle belongs.
Super Easy DIY Garden Herb Salt
- herbs of your choice, I dried a small handful of each:
- mint, just a few leaves
- 1/2 cup coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder, optional
- Gently remove the leaves of the herbs from the stems. Place them on a paper towel-lined plate, you want leaves around the same size all on the same plate. Make sure the leaves are spread out and not in piles. Cover the plate(s) with another paper towel. Microwave for 1 minute (or less, if you have very tiny leaves) then check on the herbs. Microwave in 20 to 30 second increments until they herbs are dry. Let them sit for 30 minutes or so.
- Crush the herbs using a mortar and pestle (or a food processor, but unless you have a LOT, it may be tough) until they are in small flakes. This gave me about 2 to 3 tablespoons of dried herbs.
- Stir together the salt, herbs and garlic powder. Use as you wish!
This is so deliciously boring. Try it!