Super Easy Pepperoni Pizza Puff Pastry!
Now this is how you make friends.
Prep them homemade pizza and deliver it in 25 minutes. I don’t hate it.
Okay. This might sound totally weird, but there is something about the holiday season that screams PIZZA to me. The season makes me crave pizza, and I don’t know if it’s because there are, like, a million and one other flavors happening with cookies and chocolate and peppermint and roast beef and twice baked potatoes, or if it’s even the fact that almost nothing is easier than pizza. You know?
And see, last year I made a killer meat lovers pizza. So it’s not just this year’s me, it’s last year’s me too. That’s like a whole other person.
My unsophisticated palette and pepperoni pizza mesh VERY well. It would be my death row meal, along with my mom’s pot roast, noodles with gravy and mashed potatoes. Classtastic.
This is embarrassingly easy. But I have a point behind it! My absolute favorite local pizza is from Vallozzis. They don’t deliver (it’s a restaurant), but for YEARS we have been going there and sitting in the bar just to order pizza. The crust is insanely flakey and pastry-like. Almost like pie crust, but in my opinion? Wildly better. It is so thin and buttery and again, flakey, that there is nothing else like it.
I actually find making regular pizza dough super easy, especially since I’ve been doing it for years. I’m sure that if I practiced making a pastry pizza dough and got the method down pat, it wouldn’t seem quite as intimidating, but right now it seems like something I’d rather buy than attempt to make myself. And it’s not just regular pie crust, but maybe if that was rolled thin enough, it would work? I dunno. I don’t want to try it right now. Whomp whomp.
Regardless, I tested it out with some frozen puff pastry because, hello, it’s ridiculously easy and oh-so delicious. I kind of sometimes maybe accidentally on purpose bake a little puff pastry just to eat it… alone. Like without any toppings or fillings.
My life is embarrassing.
Look at how fat and puffy that pizza is! I wish it stayed that way, but alas, it deflates once cooled. How dare it?!
At least we have the easiest, flakiest pizza to eat for the next two weeks!
I kind of want to pile it high on a cookie tray. Don’t judge.
Pepperoni Pizza Puff Pastry
- 2 sheets puff pastry, thawed
- 1 cup tomato or marinara sauce, your favorite
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried italian seasoning
- 1 cup freshly grated fontina cheese
- a bunch of pepperoni!
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Place the thawed puff pastry on a baking sheet covered with parchment paper.
- Spread the tomato sauce evenly over top, leaving a small border at the edges. Sprinkle on the herbs and garlic, evenly between both sheets. Cover with the fontina and mini pepperoni. I found tiny pieces at my grocery store, but you can also cut rounds out of larger pepperoni slices if you have time on your hands. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until super puffed and the cheese is golden. The pastry will look crazy puffed up (like the photo above) but then deflate once out of the oven. Cover with parmesan and cut each pastry into 9 slices. Serve!
The most trashed up puff pastry! Win.