Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza.
My obsession with puff pastry has taken a new savory turn.
Pretty sure that my last dinner dish request would be pizza, in a very predictable and cliché manner. I want pizza in any and all forms and especially for breakfast. My unsophisticated palette is like, okay, pizza all the time, every day.
I really don’t get sick of it. Is that embarrassing? Do I sound like a 15 year old boy? Maybe.
Breakfast pizza isn’t a new thing here. My all-time favorite is this burrata breakfast pizza and OH MY WORD is that stuff good. It is absolutely to die for. Burrata on pizza is innnnncredible.
But what it probably comes down to is that I just really love eggs on pizza. Saying it like that sounds semi-gross, but what I mean is just crack an egg on top of my pizza before throwing it into the oven.
It’s dreamy. That yolk is SO delish.
So! Puff pastry breakfast pizza is now a thing.
This is a super easy recipe that can be thrown together for a holiday brunch. Unfortunately, it’s not like a casserole where you can prepare the dish ahead of time (um, tater tot breakfast casserole anyone?), but with the puff pastry, it’s super quick and simple since it’s not like you have to wait for dough to rise.
On this baby goes:
Sharp white cheddar cheese! I can’t ever get enough. Havarti would be amazing too.
Bacon bacon bacon. I like to crisp it up just slightly so it gets even crunchier in the oven.
Some sort of green herb, like cilantro or chives!
You could totally add sausage too, if you’re into that kind of thing. I am not, mostly because: fennel seeds. They are the worst. Ever. In the universe.
The puff pastry crust is just my favorite thing ever because it’s crispy on the outside but light on the inside and so flakey. It’s like a giant slab of faux-croissant and then we put breakfast things on it.
Even if you don’t want this for breakfast or brunch, holiday time or not, it would make an awesome quick dinner that feels slightly fancy on a weeknight. I really love to make this pepperoni pizza on puff pastry crust and this is the breakfast version of it.
Puff Pastry Breakfast Pizza
- 2 sheets thawed puff pastry
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 large egg + 1 teaspoon water whisked together for an egg wash
- 6 ounces sharp white cheddar cheese freshly grated
- 6 large eggs or as many/few as you'd like!
- freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons fresh snipped chives for topping
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Set the puff pastry out to thaw if it has been in the freezer.
- Heat a skillet over medium-low heat and cook the bacon. You can chop it up to cook quicker or your can fry it in slices. You want it almost completely cooked - the fat rendered - but not burnt or crispy because it will still crisp up a bit in the oven.
- Place the puff pastry sheets on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Very slightly roll up the edges of the pastries to create a big of an edge for the crust. Brush the eggs with the egg wash.
- Sprinkle the grated cheddar over both pastries. Add on the bacon, whether it's in slices or chopped. Crack each egg separately into a bowl, then gently pour it onto the pastry. Sprinkle everything with black pepper.
- Bake the pizzas for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the pastry and cheese are golden and the eggs are set. Remove the pastries and sprinkle them with chives. Slice and serve!
Cheesy squares for all!