Pistachio Ice Cream with Nutella Fudge Swirls.
See also: how I know that I’m old.
I’m voluntarily making and eating ice cream with NUTS in it! I don’t know if I love or hate myself. Is this adulthood?
Perhaps you have been following along with my pistachio saga here on the blog over the last few years? From the time when I went from thinking that all things pistachio are gross and only for the elderly and ANY dessert made with nuts is an abomination, to being absolutely obsessed with all the pistachio things – sweet and savory alike.
That’s how it goes for me: loathe an ingredient to the point of offending others and then losing my mind because I love it so much. SORRY.
This ice cream!
My favorite pistachio flavor is probably by Talenti (ugh, so good) – but I have yet to have a pistachio ice cream filled with things other than, well… pistachio.
Changing that right now.
This one is laced with nutella fudge chunks. It’s dreamy. It also has a little bit of almond extract (p.s. I won’t hate you if you use amaretto?) which I’m finding mught just be the secret to pistachio desserts. You know how many store-bought pistachio things can taste absolutely delicious but then you find out that they are made with pistachio pudding mixture while also being a lovely shade of bright green?
Why does the fake stuff have to taste so good… WAH.
But anyway – adding a bit of almond extract made this ice cream taste like delicious pistachio boxed cake (don’t lie, it’s tasty) in a good way. Not a gross way. Does that make sense?!
We are so so sooooo close to ice cream season that I can (almost literally) taste it. Not that it really NEEDS to be warm for me to eat ice cream – I’ll eat it when it’s freezing out too. Why discriminate?!
But eating ice cream outside, the time is coming. I’m a soft serve girl all the way when it comes to ordering out and I’ve been craving a chocolate vanilla swirl like whoa. But for a harder ice cream, give me pistachio or give me none.
This is also huge because I refused to eat nutella for basically my entire life until last year. And now I can’t get enough. Now it’s kind of ruining my entire life. Swimsuit or spoon in the nutella jar? DON’T MAKE ME CHOOSE.
AH. I love you.
Pistachio Ice Cream with Nutella Fudge
- 1 cup roasted, salted shelled pistachios
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 cup roasted, salted pistachios, chopped
- 1/2 cup nutella
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon light corn syrup
- drop of vanilla extract
- Place the pistachios and 1/2 cup sugar in a food processor. Blend until the pistachios are in finely ground, but not turning into pistachio butter. You want pistachio powder!
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the milk, 1/2 cup cream and the ground pistachios. Bring the mixture to a bowl while stirring constantly. Remove it from the heat once boiling.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg yolks and sugar. Slowly whisk in half of the hot pistachio milk mixture until combined, then pour everything back into the saucepan. Heat over low heat, stirring constantly, until the custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon, about 10 minutes. Don’t let it boil! Remove it from the heat and strain into a large bowl. Stir in the remaining cream, vanilla and almond extracts until combined. Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the fridge for about 2 hours.
- After 2 hours, add to your ice cream maker and churn the mixture according to the directions. I use the kitchenaid attachment for my mixture and churn for 25 minutes.
- Scoop the ice-cream into a freezer safe container. Swirl in the nutella fudge and stir in almost all of the chopped pistachios. Cover the top with a few drizzles of nutella and remaining chopped pistachios. Freeze for 4 to 6 hours before serving.
- Whisk together the nutella, cream, corn syrup and vanilla until combined.
I’m feeling lucky.