Amaretto Bourbon Punch.
Can you tell how badly I have SUN on the brain?!
I am ready.
I am ready to sit in the driveway and sip boozy punch. I am ready to throw cherries in my cocktails and feel good about it since I get a serving of fruit. I am ready to cheers these pink glasses at 6PM (okay, 4PM) on a Thursday while grilling pizza. And I hate cheers-ing.
I might have went a little overboard and starting planning some Kentucky Derby-like cocktail ideas a month early, but it’s never too early to throw a party for about 63 seconds, right?
I’m a huge huge huge fan of amaretto. Huge. An amaretto sour was the first “real” drink I had in an actual bar when I was in college – something other that watery beer in a pitcher and Malibu rum in our dorm room.
Sidenote: we couldn’t even keep an unlit coconut scented candle in our room without wanting to die after the Malibu evening. Whoops.
Eddie probably likes amaretto – as long as he doesn’t know that it’s amaretto – but he definitely doesn’t like bourbon or whiskey or anything of the sort. Two years ago when he went to the Derby, he tried to drink a mint julep and just couldn’t do it. His cocktails of choice usually include lots of fruit juice, rum, lime and umbrellas and I’m not even joking.
In fact, if there is an umbrella involved he almost will love it for sure.
Because of that, I threw a little tropical taste in here in hopes of maybe getting him to taste it. You may have noticed that I’ve been sharing more of my favorite cocktail recipes since the new year began and I just have to say that making a pitcher of a delicious drink is near impossible when you are the only one in your home that wants to sip it.
It’s fun until it’s not!
In those cases we do something delicious called GRANITAS. Boozy, lovely granitas. Just a (non-drunk) tip.
This punch works for everything, I am declaring in a very biased manner. It’s perfect for spring, summer, Mother’s day and all sorts of gatherings that you want to have that may or may not include pizza and brownies or salad and potato chips.
This drink looks pink, but it’s not super pink – I used some cherry juice in the bottom of the glasses, but the glasses themselves are pink! Therefore I want to drink everything out of them everyday forever and ever.
We will start with amaretto punch though, and go from there.
- 2 cups bourbon
- 2 cups ginger ale
- 1 cup amaretto
- 1 cup simple syrup
- 1 cup fresh lime juice
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/4 cup maraschino cherry juice, plus extra for the glasses
- maraschino cherries, for topping
- orange juice for garnish
- Combine the bourbon, ginger ale, amaretto, simple syrup, lime juice, orange juice and cherry juice together and stir. (At this point I would taste and adjust for any sweetness – you might want more amaretto, more bourbon or more syrup depending on your preferences!)
- Fill a glass with crushed ice and add a few drops of cherry juice. Pour the punch over the ice and garnish with cherries and orange slices!
- Note: simple syrup is equal parts water and sugar. 1 cup water + 1 cup sugar heated until boiling, whisk until the sugar dissolves, and let cool to room temp!
I still cheers you because you’re my fave.