Layered Buffalo Chicken Dip.
Say hello to all these layers of loooooooove.
I know exactly what you need to make for your Memorial Day party, hello.
This might be one of my favorite things that I’ve ever made on the blog, one of the most delicious recipes in all of it’s trashed up glory. Nine layers that translate to loads of flavor that punch you in the face.
In a good way, obviously.
I have been waiting FOREVER to make and share this dip. Truly, forever.
Like 9ish-months-forever forever. I think I first saw this dip on serious eats before Labor Day. I couldn’t get it together in time to make and share, and then I almost made it for the Super Bowl but it just didn’t feel RIGHT.
This is how super fun it is to work with my brain. Doesn’t feel right = not doing it. Always.
Hence my first ever D in micro econ in college. Blah. Zee worst.
The layers! The freaking layers. Oh my gosh.
Okay so first: a layer or refried beans that are swirled with some buffalo wing sauce. Because beans. They could be a dip themselves. Half the time for me, they are. Give me beans and chips and I’m thrilled with a capital T.
Next comes a cheesy cream cheese based layer with a healthy dose of ranch dressing and mozzarella.
I don’t even care for ranch dressing. Like, not at all. You will never see me put ranch on a salad or dip my pizza crust in it.
This layer? It makes me want to drink ranch from the bottle.
Well, you know what I mean.
After that, comes our thick third layer, all the buffalo chicken goodness.
Classic buffalo chicken dip: shredded chicken, wing sauce, tons of white cheddar, cream cheese, some scallions, a touch of blue cheese dressing.
In case you were wondering, buffalo chicken dip was one of the first recipes I ever shared on the blog back in 2009.
I’ll let you see for yourself if you’re in the mood to search. *inserts all the eye covering emojis*
But please don’t.
So that whole thing gets baked and cheesy and warm.
Hot, melty, bubbly, spicy goods. I’m almost losing it.
Once the hot dip comes out of the oven, the next layers go on:
Grilled or roasted corn. Or just plain sweet corn if you wish. Since corn isn’t quite in season here yet, I used the roasted corn from Trader Joe’s. Sometimes it’s delicious. Sometimes it tastes like an ashtray. In this case, it’s fab.
Crunchy, crispy bacon! Because… do I need a reason?
Crumbled gorgonzola cheese. Throw on it on while it’s still hot so it melts into the dip crevices.
One more hefty drizzle of wing sauce, lots of bright orange.
Thinly sliced green onions alllllll over the top.
And a big handful of chopped fresh cilantro! For cooling, refreshing purposes.
Other things you need: lots of tortilla chips. Lots of pita chips. Maybe some celery if you hate all of your friends (it’s the worst). Possibly carrot sticks? Crackers and crackers galore.
Then wonderful things like cold lemonade, beer and margaritas. This is the best party ever!
- 1 (16-ounce) can refried beans (or you can totally use homemade!)
- 2 tablespoons buffalo wing sauce
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup freshly grated mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup ranch dressing
- 1 (8-ounce) block cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken
- 1 cup freshly grated white cheddar cheese
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced1/4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 2/3 cup buffalo wing sauce, plus extra for drizzling
- 2/3 cup grilled or roasted corn
- 1/3 cup crumbled gorgonzola cheese
- 4 slices cooked bacon, crumbled
- 1/3 cup wing sauce, for drizzling
- 2 green onions, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- tortilla chips, pita chips, crackers for serving
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray. I used a 7-cup clear baking dish so you could see the layers, but you can use whatever you’d like! it should be about 4 inches deep.
- Stir together the refried beans and wing sauce. Spread it in the baking dish as the first layer.
- Mix together the cream cheese, mozzarella and ranch dressing. Gently spread it on top of the beans.
- Mix together the cream cheese, 3/4 cup of the cheddar, chicken, wing sauce, blue cheese dressing and green onions. Gently spread it on top of the cream cheese layer. Top with remaining cheddar. Drizzle some extra buffalo wing sauce on top. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until bubbly and golden and cheese.
- When the dip comes out of the oven, top it with the corn, gorgonzola, bacon, wing sauce, green onions and cilantro. Dig in!