Bacon Fried Green Tomato BLTs with Special Sauce.
I have been dreaming.
Of this sandwich!
Since last fall. LAST fall. Do you have any idea how hard it’s been waiting for good green tomatoes?!
Last summer was the summer of the best BLTs. Eddie and I made them frequently on the weekends. They are such a simple meal but rich and delicious and filling while fresh. Towards the end of the season I had an idea to make a fried green tomato one, but it was too late. We eat pretty seasonally around here and I like to keep my recipes on the site seasonal, so I knew I had to WAIT. Like wait it out. What does that even mean? If there is anything I hate, it’s WAITING.
No patience here for this girl. It’s been rough.
Also: BACON fried green tomatoes. If that’s not a reason to drop every single thing that you’re doing right this instant and make this recipe, I don’t know what is.
Here’s the rundown!
Crisp up some bacon. Go ahead – do it in the skillet the old fashioned way because you’re going to need those drippings. The drippings are what you will pan-fry the green tomatoes in and yes, you might just die and go to heaven.
A simple breading for our tomatoes – some classic seasoned breadcrumbs after an egg bath. Fry the slices in the hot bacon grease until they are golden and crunchy on the outside.
Toast up your bread! TOAST IT WELL. We’ve had this conversation oh-so many times before. Has your preference changed in the last three years? At least twice a week Eddie ends up throwing away two perfectly toasted slices of bread because he didn’t check the toaster settings. I toast my bread to heck and back and the toaster dial is cranked alllllll the way up. I want my toast just on the edge of being burnt.
Eddie wants to eat warm bread. Like, not even crunchy on the outside. I say that’s a big, fat NO.
Spread the special sauce all over your (very crunchy and brown) toast. Throw some leaf lettuce on top along with a handful of rainbow microgreens.
Because they are RAINBOW! I mean, really. How can you help yourself?!
Add on your crispy green tomato slices and your bacon. Maybe more rainbow greens. Maybe more sauce!
Top it off with a bread hat.
See? This is easy.
Bacon Fried Green Tomato BLTs with Special Sauce
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 2 green tomatoes, sliced into 1/2-inch slices
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup seasoned panko breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup finely grated parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 6 pieces heart green leaf lettuce
- 1/2 cup rainbow microgreens, or any microgreens!
- 4 slices bread, toasted
- Line two separate plates with paper towels.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-low heat and add the bacon. Fry until crispy and the fat is rendered, then remove the bacon and place it on a paper towel to drain the excess grease.
- While the bacon is frying, place the eggs in one bowl. In another bowl, mix together the breadcrumbs, parmesan, flour, salt, pepper and paprika.
- Increase the heat until the bacon grease to medium. Dip each tomato slice in the beaten egg and then coat it in the breadcrumb mixture, pressing gently to adhere. Add the tomato to the bacon grease and fry until golden brown on both sides, about 2 to 3 minutes per side. Repeat with all the remaining slices.
- To assemble your BLT, spread the special sauce on toast and top with the leaf lettuce, microgreens, a few tomato slices, a few bacon slices and more lettuce. Eat up!
- special sauce
- Whisk ingredients together in a bowl until combined. Store in a sealed container in the fridge.
Pals for life.