Summer Grain Bowls.
Let’s just call this what it really is.
A big old throw-all-my-summer-fruit-and-veg-in-a-bowl salad. But since it’s 2016, we have to call it a GRAIN bowl! Three years ago I probably would have told you it was a quinoa salad with farro. Or a farro salad with quinoa. Or a summer salad.
Lucky for us it’s all of those things and it’s delicious.
Look at these colors. Seriously. Can summer never be over please? K thanks.
Since I like a little vegetable with my fruit, cherries and peaches were the stars of the show here. A touch of corn, halved tomatoes, some crunchy rainbow carrots, paper-thin radish, a quartered cucumber and a ton (like really a ton) of fresh herbs. We are talking MAJOR flavor here.
Oh oh oh! And a teeny crumble of gorgonzola. Tangy, complimentary to the peaches and oh-so delicious.
Plus rainbow micro greens, because my use is out of control.
I didn’t want to do pasta but I knew I didn’t want to JUST do quinoa. I actually really love quinoa but thought that my add-ins, all the chunks and pieces and what not, would overtake the quinoa and it would end up getting… lost. And be completely flavorless. So!
Enter farro. I wanted something with a little more chew and texture. I cook it like pasta in boiling water and then drain. We loooooove it.
My favorite thing about this bowl is that it’s fantastic warm or cold. I wouldn’t necessarily warm up the fruit and vegetables, but the quinoa and farro can be warm and tossed in and served immediately. Or it can sit in the fridge for a few hours and do it’s thang before you eat it. It’s refreshing.
It makes you feel good and healthy and all that jazz. And leaves more room for rosé. Since it’s 2016 and all.
- 1 cup cooked farro
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 2 ripe peaches, thinly sliced
- 1 cups bing cherries, pitted and halved
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 cucumber, sliced and halved
- 2/3 cup chopped carrot, I used rainbow carrots
- 2/3 cup corn, fresh or cooked – your choice
- 1/2 cup rainbow micro greens
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced radish
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup gorgonzola cheese
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano leaves
- 2 tablespoons fresh chopped basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped rosemary
- 1 teaspoon fresh chopped thyme
- Note: for more flavor you can cook your quinoa and/or farro in chicken or vegetable stock, which is what I always do.
- In a large bowl, toss together the quinoa and farro. Season the tomatoes and cucumber with a pinch of salt and pepper – I like to do this just to add more flavor to those two ingredients especially.
- Toss all of the fruit and vegetables, down to the radish, into the quinoa and farro. Toss well so everything is combined. Drizzle the olive oil and lemon juice into the salad. Season with the salt and pepper, tossing well. Toss in the gorgonzola. Right before serving, toss in all of the fresh herbs.
- You can make this an hour or so before serving – it’s wonderful cold and so are the leftovers!
My heart’s in that bowl.