Rainbow Coconut Smoothie Bowls.
A RAINBOW! We’re eating a rainbow.
I don’t think it’s any secret that for me, this is the year of the smoothie bowl.
Which makes me a complete and utter hypocrite.
A few years ago I thought these were ridiculous – ludicrous, pointless and such a waste of time – why not just DRINK your smoothie?
I KNOW. Right.
You’re probably thinking that exact same thing right now.
I’m here to convince you otherwise! Maybe.
It’s probably because it’s summer and super hot outside and frosty bowls covered in fruit are fun to eat for breakfast. I think that’s what sold me.
The obvious key is that the smoothie has to be THICK. Like spoon-able. Think Wendy’s frosty consistency. Man, I haven’t had one of those in years and for some reason, right now it sounds excellent. Perhaps I should cover that with rainbow fruit and pretend it’s breakfast?
When it IS thick and slightly resembles soft serve, it’s such a treat. Especially if you’re a fruit freak like I am. Depending on your blender, you may need to play with frozen banana/coconut ice cube amounts until your get that perfect consistency. Since I started kneeling at the altar of the Vitamix a few years ago, the recipe below makes it creamy and thick every single time.
This coconut smoothie is fantastic on it’s own, even if you don’t want to cover it with an almost Lisa Frank-style rainbow of fresh fruit. Coconut milk ice cubes, coconut milk, shredded coconut, frozen bananas and even coconut meat (I find mine at whole foods!) are blended together to taste like a tropical paradise.
YES you can most likely leave out the bananas – it may be a bit less frosty-like and not quite as sweet, but it’s doable.
Most importantly though: doesn’t everyone want to eat fruit when it’s done up ROY G BIV style? I mean, I hope so.
- 1 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 cup coconut milk ice cubes
- 1/2 cup frozen, or fresh! coconut meat (I find frozen at whole foods)
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 2 tablespoons shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1 teaspoon honey
- red: strawberries, raspberries, pluots
- orange: peaches, mango
- yellow: banana, pineapple
- green: kiwi, fresh mint
- blue: blueberries
- indigo: dark plums
- violet: blackberries, black raspberries
- shredded coconut for topping
- To make the coconut milk ice cubes, fill an ice cube mold with coconut milk! Freeze overnight. Slice and prep your fruit before you make the smoothie.
- Blend together the coconut milk, bananas, coconut milk ice cubes, coconut meat, hemp seeds, shredded coconut and honey. You want it to be thick so it can be scooped into a bowl, much like an acai bowl or banana “ice cream.” This works best with a high powered blender.
- Once the smoothie is in the bowl, layer on your fruit in the rainbow pattern. Cover with shredded coconut. Serve immediately!
Since it’s Thursday, do we add a splash of rum?