Pistachio Pancakes with Pistachio Butter.
Pistachio pancakes. Freaking pistachio pancakes! Why haven’t I done this yet and why am I not eating them at this exact moment, like every minute for the rest of my life?
This whole thing started because I just wanted to make some pistachio butter. Not pistachio nut butter (though I did that once back on the blog in 2009 if you want to search and be horrified and disown me forever), but pistachios ground and swirled into sweet cream butter.
YES. Real butter with ground pistachios. I mean, it’s practically pistachio ice cream in butter. Or something like that.
I did this once before. I used it on fish. It was fantastic!
Why do I make fantastic things and forget about them?
Thank you internet I love you forever.
So for these pancakes, I also ground up pistachios and swirled them into the dry ingredients. OH MY GOSH. If you’re a pistachio freak (nut? so punny… ), you might just lose your mind. These pancakes themselves are not only an excellent vehicle for the butter and syrup, but they are incredible when spread with almond butter and rolled up and eaten on the go.
I die. You must try it.
The only thing that might rival these pancakes is my breakfast this morning. I am insanely excited because I’m in Aurora, New York visiting the Mackenzie Childs headquarters this week (check out my Instagram stories and snapchat!!) and guess what?
Delicious, soft and WARM muffins delivered to my door along with hot coffee and cream.
Oh hi, I’m never leaving.
Other than that though, nothing beats these pancakes. Know why else?
Brown butter. Plus vanilla. In your MAPLE SYRUP.
I don’t even know how something delicious is allowed to exist. This is my love language.
Pistachio Pancakes with Pistachio Butter
- 3 tablespoons finely ground pistachios
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- In a large bowl, combine the flour, pistachios, sugar, baking powder, soda and salt. Whisk together until combined. In a smaller bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, vanilla extract and butter. Add the wet ingredients to the dry, mixing until smooth and combined.
- Heat a large skillet or electric griddle over medium heat. Add a bit of butter if desired, then pour 1/4 cup of batter on the hot skillet and repeat, leaving an inch between pancakes. Cook until the pancakes bubble on the top and edges, about 2 minutes. Flip and cook for another minute or two until golden and set. Top the pancakes with the pistachio butter and syrup.
- Whisk together the butter and pistachios until combined. You can use it just like this or place it in the fridge to harden a bit. If so, you can wrap it tightly in plastic wrap and store it until needed.
vanilla brown butter syrup
- Heat the butter over medium heat in a saucepan, whisking constantly. Cook until it bubbles and the brown bits appear on the bottom (about 4 to 5 minutes) then quickly stir in the vanilla bean paste and remove it from the heat. While warm, stir it into the maple syrup and serve immediately.
Look at those little pistachio crumbles. I just can’t!